The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

In the local league here,you can play with 9 players (5 of one gender and 4 of the other). The 10th spot is automatically an out unless there are two outs in the inning. You have to physically make the final out. Anyway....this team had 5 males and 4 females. The last male batter(#9 in the order) walked. The girl who is next in the lineup gets a choice to walk or hit. Well,there was no girl to walk. The team thought the guy should be able to go to 2nd base. I told him there was no girl batting to make a decision to walk that would force him to 2nd. I got an out (it was the 1st of the inning) and the next guy batted. Does this sound right?
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsimp8
In the local league here,you can play with 9 players (5 of one gender and 4 of the other). The 10th spot is automatically an out unless there are two outs in the inning. You have to physically make the final out. Anyway....this team had 5 males and 4 females. The last male batter(#9 in the order) walked. The girl who is next in the lineup gets a choice to walk or hit. Well,there was no girl to walk. The team thought the guy should be able to go to 2nd base. I told him there was no girl batting to make a decision to walk that would force him to 2nd. I got an out (it was the 1st of the inning) and the next guy batted. Does this sound right?
The team is playing short one woman, and wants to benefit from this? You did well my child.

Bob
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chiquita
Thumbs up

I agree!
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Local rules is local rules. This eventuality should be mentioned in those rules.

I do, however, agree with your implementation assuming this is not specifically addressed in your local rules. (ALthough other leagues I've been in mandate a 2-base award for walking a guy in coed slowpitch).
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Like it was stated, local rules supercede other rules.

The way it is played in 10 out of the 11 Co-ed leagues I have worked so far this year; the male only gets 2 bases if there is a female behind him and she chooses to take the walk. So if they are short players or the leagues allows them to bat an extra person if they have 11 players and two males bat in a row and the first male walks, he only gets first base and the second male bats just like normal. Then again none of these leagues require the out be taken for a missing female.

The other leagues does require the out be taken, but it has a walk to a male or female is just a walk - no extra base for the male and no option for the female to walk.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

The league I help with gives the male batter second base no matter how many outs...if we play short-handed one female, the out is the result of her turn at bat...So male batter 9 gets second on the walk, female batter 10 is out...