The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Happen the other night slow-pitch game*

SIT:R1 on 1st B2 at bat hits grounder to F6 who makes wide throw to F4 at 2nd pulling F4 off the bag. I am BU in set position make no call R1 just stops about 10' from 1st thinking he is out B2 completes his run through at 1st.

Mistake #1 PU doesnt see what had happen at 2nd and calls time.

Mistake#2 BU(me) after time has been called F5 yells at F4 to go tag the base he sees that I haven't called R1 out and F4 goes over and tags 2nd I make the out call R1 finally goes and sits down.

I understand that once the PU made the time call I should of not allowed F4 to make the play or would this fall under dead ball appeal since R1 made no attempt to finish his base running after TIME had been called?? Or do I have to wait for R1 to go back to the dugout before it is an out?

*I've decided to stay with slow-pitch till this summer then try to call some summer league younger fast-pitch before next year then try H.S. fast pitch

Tell me what you think guys

Don
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Don,
Once TIME has been called, you can't call somebody out on a force. If your R1 left live ball territory - I think that's 8.8.U - you can call him out for 'abandoning' his base & attempt to advance. If you got no argument from the players, you got away with one. Learn from it so that you'll know next time. Now, after your partner had called TIME, and you had the defense appealing a missed base, had R1 gone to the base & stood on it, disallow the so-called appeal & keep R1 on the base & play ball.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Don......that used to get my goat when I played SP softball......the umpires seemed to get into a hurry to kill the ball when stuff was still going on.

My FP association picked up a fairly new league last year that had used a SP association that was closer to them. They had the problem of the umpires calling time at the end of each play......drove the FP coaches crazy.

They now have our association to drive them crazy....

Joel