The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Both ASA and NFHS rules state that an obstructed runner cannot be put out between the bases which they were obstructed. That's fine if the obstructing feilder is between two bases, but what about when she is at, on, or straddling a base? Do we go by the location of the runner, or the feilder?

Play: B1 hits to right field, F3 stands on 1B as if to receive a throw but no throw is ever made. B1 alters path to round on outside of bag or on orange part of double first base. Umpire signals OBS. F9 throw to F6 at 2B who tags out B1 easily. In umpire's judgement B1 would have never made 2B obstructed or not. So now the question is: was B1 obstructed between Home and 1B or between 1B and 2B?

I feel that B1 is obstructed between 1B and 2B since it was her advance beyond 1B that was obstructed, not her advance from Home to 1B. If she is played on between 1B and 2B we have dead ball, obstruction inforced, B1 returned to 1B. Agreed?

Some OBS threads on another board got me thinking about how to apply the "between the bases" portion of this rule.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

I will always, in this case, consider the obstruction between 1B and 2B, to protect the runner somewhat. Seems to me that the runner deserves to be "not out" at 2B if obstructed at 1B. Call dead ball, and put runner back on 1B.
Old Sat May 21, 2005, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a league ball game. Reading through the ASA rule book concerning this issue and applying to this situation; I agree with returning the runner to 1st base. Although I would not make this a normal routine. In my opinion coaches will continue to send the runners onto the next base merely because the fielder is standing on the base.

The runner made it to first base no problem. But continuing to run to another base and in your judgement would not have reach 2nd unobstructed or not, then the runner should have been called out.I really think the obstruction must occur between the bases.

Old Sat May 21, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UmpireErnie
...but what about when she is at, on, or straddling a base?
I'm a project manager for a computer corporation. I'm in Mensa and my fellow umpires accuse me of being over analytical. But, man, you are making my brain hurt.

Just remember that it was the defense performing the offending action. Apply the ruling fairly and don't worry about whether the runner's center point of gravity was two nanometers left or right of an imaginary plane that vertically dissects the base's midpoint from the adaxial corner.
Old Sat May 21, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
There are really two aspects involved:
- which base the runner would have reached w/o obstruction
- where the runner was out out

This time, the judgement was that the runner would not have reached 2nd even w/o obstruction and it is clear the runner was put out between 1st and 2nd.

The phrase "B1 alters path to round on outside of bag or on orange part of double first base" might be the key. If the BR "alters path to round", then I could think OBS from going to 2nd. If the BR altered to "orange part of double first base" just to reach and overrun 1st w/o immediately turning toward 2nd, then I could think the OBS is before 1st.

If OBS between 1st and 2nd, runner gets awarded 1st because of the "not put out" aspect. If OBS before 1st, runner is out.
Old Sat May 21, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jack2005
Sounds like a league ball game. Reading through the ASA rule book concerning this issue and applying to this situation; I agree with returning the runner to 1st base. Although I would not make this a normal routine. In my opinion coaches will continue to send the runners onto the next base merely because the fielder is standing on the base.
And why shouldn't they? As long as 1B continues to obstruct without penalty, you are rewarding that obstruction. The defense deserves the appropriate penalty; they lose the right to put the runner out between first and second when 1B stops BR from making a turn.
Old Sat May 21, 2005, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

How about all the above. She altered her path so that slowed her down before and after the base . Brian
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

SCUmp - sorry, man, really not trying to hurt your head!! I know its an alalysis of one sentance in a rule that hardly anyone not wearing a blue uniform even knows the correct term for. ("Hey Blue, that shortstop committed INTERFERENCE on my runner!") Still, how we interpret this sentance in the play I describe means the difference between a "safe" and an "Out" if the runner goes for 2B so I thought it worth discussion.

CecilOne - I agree with you, and my original post may not have been clear. I am not putting my arm up if the BR meerly runs thru the orange bag overrunning 1B and returns directly to it. F3s position did not alter her path in this intance. I am not now giving them a "free try" at 2B. But if the BR is rounding 1B with no play and is forced to round on the outside of the orange bag instead of the inside of the white bag I say OBS and it occured between 1B and 2B.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Ask yourself this - is the runner still obstructed while making that first step from first to 2nd. Most of the time in the sitch described, the answer is yes - thus, they were obstructed while between home and first, and they were STILL obstructed while between first and second. So in most cases, they cannot be put out between 1st and 2nd either.