The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Ok here is the play as described to me. D3K runner is running to 1st in foul territory as fielder has set up on white bag for throw from catcher (ball on 1st base side foul territory if it matters). Throw draws F3 toward foul territory ending up with her "stretch" foot in front of the orange bag, basically blocking both parts of the double first base. Coach wanted to know what the call was.

I told him off top of my head, it was a HTBT call. If the batter-runner altered her path because of the fielder trying to catch the ball and as a result blocked both parts of the base it was obstruction and the batter-runner should be awarded 1st. If the runner did not alter her path then there was no call, B-R out play on. So it depended on timing and location when this all occurred.

How close was I?
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

I see it the way you see it.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
Ok here is the play as described to me. D3K runner is running to 1st in foul territory as fielder has set up on white bag for throw from catcher (ball on 1st base side foul territory if it matters). Throw draws F3 toward foul territory ending up with her "stretch" foot in front of the orange bag, basically blocking both parts of the double first base. Coach wanted to know what the call was.
Maybe I'm not reading this right, but if F3 is reaching toward foul territory for a ball coming from foul ground and the foot is in front of the orange portion how is both bases getting blocked? Is your "stretch" foot what I would refer to as the "free" foot, the one not in contact with the base?

Old Thu May 19, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Hey John!

John,

Didn't we have this discussion at either test night, or one of the general meetings/training sessions? I believe the general consensus was that if the thrown ball carried F3 into the basepath, that we should not call Obstruction. Of course, there are all sorts of considerations such as timing, did she really get pulled there by the throw, did the runner alter her path, etc. so a blanket statement like mine above causes me some grief. But that is what I remember being said, and I'm looking for some clarification.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

My suggestion.......the D3K rule needs to be thrown out with yesterdays garbage!!! lol Kills me every game!! My nightly prayer before a game.....

Dear Lord:

Please keep my players safe
and don't let them get hurt
But if my catcher doesn't hold on to that ball
Let me at her first!!

Just kidding!!

Ray
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
Yes her (right handed 1st base woman) right foot was touching the white base and her left foot swung (is that a word?) around in front of the orange base.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Webster's II New Riverside Dictionary page 697:

swung: v. past tense and past participle of swing

Correctly used word
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=swung
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Troy!

Yes we did have it at one of our general meetings and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, especially since the member of NUS and the WIAA Clinician had differing viewpoints. I seem to recall the Clinician's face getting beet red and the member of NUS eventually going to the other room.

I think this was the same night I almost got my hand severed...
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Hey John & Troy!

I remember that meeting now! A lot of groaning, and "get on with it" comments. If I recall, we viewed a few slides and power point presentations as well...
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
Mike,
Yes her (right handed 1st base woman) right foot was touching the white base and her left foot swung (is that a word?) around in front of the orange base.
Gotcha! Thanks