The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

During my pre-game equipment inspection tonight, I noticed 3 tiny rivets just beginning to protrude from the end of the barrel of this model bat. I found it on 2 different bats, both the 2004 model. The rivets appear to hold the end cap on to the end of the barrel.
Question: Would you allow this bat to be used or would you rule it to be defective equipment? Has anyone else seen this problem with the 2004 Anderson Rocket-tech?
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen this problem several times this season. Have removed two bats because the rivets protruded (actually, my partner cut his hand while sliding his hand down the barrel - tough lesson learned). Surprisingly, no one complained the removal.

Talked with one player's dad the following week. Bat was returned to Anderson and a new one was shipped to replace it.

Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
I've seen this problem several times this season. Have removed two bats because the rivets protruded (actually, my partner cut his hand while sliding his hand down the barrel - tough lesson learned). Surprisingly, no one complained the removal.

Talked with one player's dad the following week. Bat was returned to Anderson and a new one was shipped to replace it.

Gary,

This has been a problem around here also. I worked with one umpire that carried
a file with him to smooth the burrs. No, I did not think it was his job, but he
did it anyway.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NSABlue
During my pre-game equipment inspection tonight, I noticed 3 tiny rivets just beginning to protrude from the end of the barrel of this model bat. I found it on 2 different bats, both the 2004 model. The rivets appear to hold the end cap on to the end of the barrel.
Question: Would you allow this bat to be used or would you rule it to be defective equipment? Has anyone else seen this problem with the 2004 Anderson Rocket-tech?
I have found this to be quite common over the past year.
I will point it out to a coach and tell them to tap the pins back in.
Actually, a little pressure on the bat while holding the pin against a solid surface will puch it in quite easily.

Two years ago, we had a member of the NUS pull all of the Rocket-techs due to this problem.

As the Rep for the tournament, I showed him how to fix it and all was well. Bats were allowed back in.

Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

I removed them from a JO game up here in Seattle... got our UIC out on the field, and he agreed with me. Bats removed from that game... too bad for the team - they had 3 of their bats gone.

After the game, the coach brought the same three bats to me. He told me he used a rock and the chainlink fence post, and pounded the burrs back in... then asked if they could be used in the next game. I inspected them, and the burrs were gone/pounded flat. I told him that I would probably let them back in, but that would be the new PU's call. (we rotated positions between games)

The new PU allowed them.

I've seen them in a few other games. If I feel any burr, I have the coach use the rock/post technique to pound the burr out.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

CONSTANT Problem with the 2004 models..whoever designed them needs his head examined....
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61

Two years ago, we had a member of the NUS pull all of the Rocket-techs due to this problem.

As the Rep for the tournament, I showed him how to fix it and all was well. Bats were allowed back in.

Scott,

It is good that an adjustment could be made, but by rule, bats are not allowed to have exposed rivets or pins.

If they are flush, I'm not going looking for trouble, and that bat will stay in the game. However, as an umpire, I'm going to assess the bat presented to me. The people who need to know how to deal with the issue are those who own the bats, not the umpire.

And to be honest, at what point to you recheck the bats during a game?

Old Thu May 19, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Two years ago, we had a member of the NUS pulled all of the Rocket-techs due to this problem.

Scott,

It is good that an adjustment could be made, but by rule, bats are not allowed to have exposed rivets or pins.

If they are flush, I'm not going looking for trouble, and that bat will stay in the game. However, as an umpire, I'm going to assess the bat presented to me. The people who need to know how to deal with the issue are those who own the bats, not the umpire.

And to be honest, at what point to you recheck the bats during a game?

I should have been more clear.
The NUS member pulled all of these bats with no regard to exposed rivets or not. Just pulled them all.
When we showed him between games that the problem could be easily rectified, then the bat model was allowed for use in the tournament.

Sorry, I was thinking what I was thinking and expecting you to understand what I wasn't saying.

Now, does that clear things up?
hehehe
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I should have been more clear.
The NUS member pulled all of these bats with no regard to exposed rivets or not. Just pulled them all.
When we showed him between games that the problem could be easily rectified, then the bat model was allowed for use in the tournament.

Sorry, I was thinking what I was thinking and expecting you to understand what I wasn't saying.

Now, does that clear things up?
hehehe
Yeah, sure! Like you think you are going to get off that easy.

I had one of these bats last night and ran my hand over the top. If you go by the "letter" of the rule, that fact that you can see and feel the rivets make the bat illegal. The point that was originally made that these rivets will come out, means that the barrel cap is removable. That would be another point of ruling it illegal based on the new change this year.

However, in practicality, we know (or should know) that the rivets are supposed to be permanently in place for the purpose of meeting the rule and are supposed to be flush with the surface of the barrel, hence visual exposure becomes irrelevant to the purpose of the rule.

So, yes, you let the bat play, but Andersen really needs to be called to task on this issue to avoid problems in the future.