The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Sunny, it works well in baseball too (at the LL level anyway). THe pitchers just don't seem to want to hold onto that ball.

[Edited by aevans410 on May 20th, 2005 at 08:40 AM]
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by coachfanmom
You'd be amazed at how many times this play works in league ball....they still haven't caught on and only two more games to go. [/B]
And you'd be amazed how many times the teams in our area have turned this into an out and runner still on third, or sometimes 2 outs. Pitcher faces shortstop, and waits until BR is about 4 steps from 2nd and fires to 2nd - usually BR is so surprised that she's an easy out, and the shortstops or 2nd basemen are certainly capable of throwing home in time to nail a runner that leaves the third base bag about the time she's tagging a runner out (to put that play in perspective, this is exactly the same distances, for both runner and fielder, that you'd have if a runner tried to steal 2nd, but waited until catcher had the ball before leaving the base --- if that is, in your mind, an easy out, so should the play on your runner on 3rd be)

No one even tries this around here anymore, it is such an easy play.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

I have a feeling that next year I won't get away with it as easy and maybe not even my next game because the other coach is pretty smart it's just getting the girls to understand and do as we say that's the problem.....this is most of their first years to play fastpitch so sometimes I wanna pull my hair out and find myself halfway on the field before realizing where I am lol...I do hope they learn to put us out at least once before the season is over....I'd NEVER try that move in tournament ball....I might be top of the barrel in League ball but in tournament ball I'm afraid we fall down towards the bottom.....but still have fun at it.

[Edited by coachfanmom on May 20th, 2005 at 09:22 AM]
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

When you get to tourney play, watch the opposing catcher's throwdown. You may still find you can steal with most of your batters on about a third to half of the catchers (maybe more if you're 12U). With a runner on 3rd, the steal on the pitch after a walk is MUCH safer than just taking 2nd on the walk itself. The throw from catcher to 2nd to catcher is much more likely to score a run (if they actually throw it to 2nd, and not a cutoff player) than pitcher to 2nd to catcher (not to mention that on the walk play, R1 has to be glued to the base, whereas she can be leading off when catcher is throwing the ball).

You never mentioned the age of your team, or where you're at in the country.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You never mentioned the age of your team, or where you're at in the country.
Opps! We are 12U (my daughter is 11, turns 12 in July so one more year to stay down) We are in South Mississippi. The next 6 weekends have us playing in Ocean Springs MS, Saucier MS, Orange Grove MS, Biloxi MS, Bayou View MS, and Meridian MS.

I also have a little sister that is 14 that is one of the best pitchers in South MS....I'm sure that in a few years you will hear about her. She plans on going to LSU. Both will be on the High school team next year. Little sis as starting pitcher for Varsity and mine as starting pitcher for JV. We are a ball playin family. Our mom (actually my step mom but I don't view her that way) is the ASA Ump and High School coach for our rival team So this next year will be one interesting year when we play her. Gonna be wild!!!
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
When you use this play, and the pitcher is not making a play on either runner, the runner on third must commit one way or the other once the batter runner reaches first.

I had a team trying to use this play last weekend, but the runner on third started juking back and forth after the BR had reached first and the pitcher was not making any play.

DEAD BALL....RUNNERS OUT!
I know it's a typo, but just for any rookies or ... who might be reading RUNNER'S OUT! - singular, only one out allowed on RCR.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

it's amazing what a difference a small little " ' " makes on that statement