View Single Post
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 11:28am
Ref Ump Welsch

Batter can request time, as long as the pitcher hasn't started any pitching motion, even the 2 fakes he/she is allowed.

Like JLMatthew says, if pitcher requests the count and gets you to look at your indicator while he's pitching, it's unfairly delivered ball, and a ball awarded to the batter. Be a pretty gaddang stupid move if the batter already has 2 balls (and that didn't come out right!) on the count. Also, if the pitcher does it more than once, you could warn him for unsportsmanlike conduct and eject if he does it after you warn him.

We've actually had a pitcher try that on me this year. First time, I said unfairly delivered and awarded a ball. Second time, same call with the USC warning. His coach says there's nothing wrong, and I said coach, then every time he does it, it'll be a ball no matter what. Coach says I have to judge each pitch or call no pitch. I told coach that he just got his warning not to say anything else. Sure enough, third time it happens, pitcher's gone, and coach comes at me saying I should have called no pitch. Coach gone, my reason: arguing balls and strikes (wow, mischevious me!). Ball game over since they didn't have enough subs to cover the 2 of them being ejected. Coach goes to the league director to complain within earshot of me. League director does the most lovely thing....kicks the coach out of the park and tells him not to bother coming back for a couple of weeks, even weekend tournaments!