The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Help- If a batted ball rests on the plate and is touched by the cather is this ball fair or foul.

also... If a bunted ball rests anywhere in the batters box (front or back) and is touched by the catcher, is this fair or foul?
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Ball on the plate when touched = fair ball. All bases are in fair territory.
Situation #2: Depend where the ball is on relation to the foul line, not the batter's box. Although the line is not chalked thru the box, it is still there. You have to visualize it as continuing from where it stops at the batter's box to the the bacl of the plate.

Old Thu May 12, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by still_learning
Help- If a batted ball rests on the plate and is touched by the cather is this ball fair or foul.
Fair. The plate is entirely in fair territory.
Quote:
Originally posted by still_learning
also... If a bunted ball rests anywhere in the batters box (front or back) and is touched by the catcher, is this fair or foul?
Depends. The foul lines extend to the rear tip of home plate. A sort-of triangular shaped section of the front of the batter's boxes are in fair territory. It is about 25-30% of the box. So, if the ball is in the front part of the batter's box, it will be in fair territory. In the rear, in foul territory. In between you need to determine which side of the foul line it is on.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

In batters box

I am the PU, had read threads about balls in batter box. Batter drops a bunt stops dead in front part of the box and the thread pops in my brain "hey thats a fair ball ". I point fair we have kids and dirt flying and then from out in the neverlands """"foul ball""" .The BU saw the ball in the batters box and insisted that is a foul ball.

Really no point other than these threads really,really have helped me in this SITCH and in others.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Re: In batters box

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
I am the PU, had read threads about balls in batter box. Batter drops a bunt stops dead in front part of the box and the thread pops in my brain "hey thats a fair ball ". I point fair we have kids and dirt flying and then from out in the neverlands """"foul ball""" .The BU saw the ball in the batters box and insisted that is a foul ball.

Really no point other than these threads really,really have helped me in this SITCH and in others.
Maybe he (the BU) was thinking (but still misapplying) the mechanic for a BR that is contacted by the ball in the batters box. In that case, we do rule a foul ball, no matter that they may be in the fair portion of the batters box.

But, the proper mechanic for a base umpire is to call "dead ball", not foul ball. The decision on "in the box equals foul" versus "out of the box equals out" belongs to the plate umpire.

Other than that, the BU was not only wrong is his rules knowledge, he was totally wrong on his mechanics; if that ball was 5' foul, it still isn't his call unless you lost it and asked for help after the play.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

BU is in "A" the ball is hit and it's a line shot up the first base line. This is obvious that the ball will be close

Should the BU wait until ball has landed fair or foul before moving?

If fair should the BU point fair, or should BU give a sly point to help PU?

I had a play like this in a Semi Championship game two/three weeks ago. Hit was lined up the line and instead of moving in and blocking PU view of the line I waited.

The ball hit fair on the line not more then 8 feet away from me I pointed with my hand down toward fair ball territory and moved in so I could cover the BR.

The PU didn't say anything regarding the play but this guy is one of the quiet guys of the bunch.

Old Fri May 13, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Both ASA and NCAA mechanics are plain. All fair and foul calls belong to the PU unless a base ump goes out on a fly ball. No "to the bag", "after the bag"; and it is further stated in the NCAA umpire manual that you don't deviate by advance agreement, you only deviate when a play creates a situation when you should deviate. I personally agree with all of that, and it shouldn't be a pregame discussion who has fair and foul calls.

That said, I prefer the BU hesitate and allow the PU to see the ball and make his call; then buttonhook in. No pointing, no indication that might contradict the call made by PU. Only if PU is unsure after indicating "fair", and wishes to ask the BU what he saw, might BU advise otherwise, and the call can be changed. If PU called foul, and unsure, too bad, that bell won't be unrung.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Not your call. It can be helpful for you to get a look at it when you're moving into position for YOUR call --- just in case you're asked for help. But this is his call, and the worst thing that can happen is for you to be pointing at the ground when PU yells "FOUL!" or for you to be pointing foul when PU points fair.

Now to your "sly point". I would have said never... until last night.

Ball hit nearly straight up, batter clears, catcher reaches, deflects, and fails to catch the ball. When she touched it, ball was a shade foul. Catcher's mask and bat BOTH hit PU as PU tried to get an angle down the 3Bline - he had no angle on the 1Bline (even if the bat and mask hadn't hit him)

I was in A and saw him look at me with no call. I pointed a finger foul in front of me as unobtrusively as possible, and he yells FOUL! Looked like he'd made the call on his own. So, yeah.... I can see the use of the "sly point" in odd cases - when you see your partner looking to you for information.