The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Got an email from my assignor earlier this week with a survey on possible NCAA rules changes. This survey is supposedly being sent to all NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA, coaches, umpires, and administrators. I thought it might create some interesting discussion from umpires point of view:

The following survey questions have been submitted to the rules committee or have been identified as issues during the season. The page numbers are references from the 2005 Softball Rules Book.

Rule 3, Introduction (page 40)
Are you in favor of excluding batting gloves from the list of uniforms, accessories and equipment that must be worn properly?

Rationale: This would allow batting gloves to be carried or put in pockets.

Favor

Not in Favor

Are you in favor of including sunglasses in the list of equipment that must be worn properly (on the head)?

Rationale: This would prevent sunglasses from being placed in pockets and instead requiring they be worn over the eyes or on the head.

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 3, Section 1 Ball (page 40)
Do you think the COR and compression should be required to be stamped on all balls?

Rationale: This would allow umpires to enforce the equipment rule; it is difficult for umpires to know the various makes and models of legal softballs without this information being printed on the balls. (An implementation period would be necessary for this rules change.)

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 4, Section 12 Umpires (page 51)
Would you favor requiring three umpires for all NCAA softball games?

Rationale: This would create a minimum standard for the number umpires working a game for the first time.

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 8, New Section 1c Players on a Team (page 74)
Do you favor allowing a designated runner once per offensive inning for any runner who has reached base safely?

Rationale: Increase participation for one additional player and decrease time between innings if the player is either the pitcher or catcher who can then prepare earlier for the defensive half inning.

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 9, Section 13a4c Runner Interference (page 99)
Do you favor calling interference if a batted ball is misplayed and remains in front of a fielder such that the fielder still has an opportunity to make a play, and the runner contacts the fielder.

Exception: If the misplayed ball bounds away or past the fielder and then contact occurs as the fielder and runner collide, this may be considered inadvertent contact or may be obstruction.

Rationale: NCAA baseball allows for umpire discretion to determine if it is interference, inadvertent contact or obstruction. Currently, the NCAA Softball Rules only offer the choice of interference or inadvertent contact.

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 9, Section 17 Obstruction (page 105)
Do you favor reimplementing the former interpretation on obstruction?

Rationale: Obstruction is currently being called on defensive players when the runner is 30 and 40 feet from the base. It should only be called when the play is imminent and the runner alters her path on her immediate approach to the base, not as she rounds the previous one.

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 10, Section 7b Dropped During Pitch (page 113)
When the ball accidentally slips from the pitcher's hand during the act of delivering the pitch, it is called an illegal pitch. The effect used to be ball on the batter, live ball, runners may advance with liability to be put out. Do you prefer it being called an illegal pitch or a ball?

Rationale: Need to clarify the difference between dropping a pitch and it slipping IF the effect will be different.

It should be an illegal pitch.

It should be a ball, live ball, and the runners may advance with liability to be put out.

Rule 10, Section 13a and b Foreign Substance (page 115)
Do you favor allowing the pitcher to apply moisture or a foreign substance to her hand or the ball as long as it doesn't transfer any residue to the ball?

I favor application to either the hands or the ball.

I only favor application to the hands.

I only favor application to the ball.

No application should be allowed to the hands or the ball.

Rule 13, Section 1a Ejection/Suspension Coaches (page 173)
If a coach removes his/her team from the field, the coach shall be ejected and then suspended from the institution's next two scheduled and played contests in a traditional season. However in Rule 6-19 (page 65) the game is forfeited if a team is on site but refuses to begin play or after the game has begun, one side refuses to continue play. Do you favor this being a forfeit or ejection and suspension?

Rationale: The rules discrepancy needs to be resolved.

I favor a forfeit.

I favor ejection and suspension of the head coach.

Rule 13, Section 13 (page 175)
Do you favor requiring the umpire to notify the official scorekeeper to record any warnings for conduct matters in the scorebook, including ejections?

Rationale: This would make clear when warnings are issued. For example, if an umpire says "coach that's enough," all parties need to be clear as to if that is or is not a warning.

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 14, Section 1d (page 180)
Do you favor requiring the official scorekeeper and visiting scorekeeper to be located in a neutral area to address all scoring discrepancies immediately. If the scorer's do not agree, the umpire will make the final ruling at the next half inning.

Rationale: This would help eliminate padding of statistics.

Favor

Not in Favor

Please list comments about the survey or other playing-rules issues below.

Old Thu May 12, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Got an email from my assignor earlier this week with a survey on possible NCAA rules changes. This survey is supposedly being sent to all NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA, coaches, umpires, and administrators. I thought it might create some interesting discussion from umpires point of view:

The following survey questions have been submitted to the rules committee or have been identified as issues during the season. The page numbers are references from the 2005 Softball Rules Book.

Are you in favor of excluding batting gloves from the list of uniforms, accessories and equipment that must be worn properly?

Rationale: This would allow batting gloves to be carried or put in pockets.

Favor

Not in Favor

Are you in favor of including sunglasses in the list of equipment that must be worn properly (on the head)?

Rationale: This would prevent sunglasses from being placed in pockets and instead requiring they be worn over the eyes or on the head.

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 3, Section 1 Ball (page 40)
Do you think the COR and compression should be required to be stamped on all balls?

Rationale: This would allow umpires to enforce the equipment rule; it is difficult for umpires to know the various makes and models of legal softballs without this information being printed on the balls. (An implementation period would be necessary for this rules change.)

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 4, Section 12 Umpires (page 51)
Would you favor requiring three umpires for all NCAA softball games?

Rationale: This would create a minimum standard for the number umpires working a game for the first time.

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 8, New Section 1c Players on a Team (page 74)
Do you favor allowing a designated runner once per offensive inning for any runner who has reached base safely?

Rationale: Increase participation for one additional player and decrease time between innings if the player is either the pitcher or catcher who can then prepare earlier for the defensive half inning.

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 9, Section 13a4c Runner Interference (page 99)
Do you favor calling interference if a batted ball is misplayed and remains in front of a fielder such that the fielder still has an opportunity to make a play, and the runner contacts the fielder.

Exception: If the misplayed ball bounds away or past the fielder and then contact occurs as the fielder and runner collide, this may be considered inadvertent contact or may be obstruction.

Rationale: NCAA baseball allows for umpire discretion to determine if it is interference, inadvertent contact or obstruction. Currently, the NCAA Softball Rules only offer the choice of interference or inadvertent contact.

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 9, Section 17 Obstruction (page 105)
Do you favor reimplementing the former interpretation on obstruction?

Rationale: Obstruction is currently being called on defensive players when the runner is 30 and 40 feet from the base. It should only be called when the play is imminent and the runner alters her path on her immediate approach to the base, not as she rounds the previous one.

Favor

Not in Favor
None of the above. Stupid interp. to begin

Rule 10, Section 7b Dropped During Pitch (page 113)
When the ball accidentally slips from the pitcher's hand during the act of delivering the pitch, it is called an illegal pitch. The effect used to be ball on the batter, live ball, runners may advance with liability to be put out. Do you prefer it being called an illegal pitch or a ball?

Rationale: Need to clarify the difference between dropping a pitch and it slipping IF the effect will be different.

It should be an illegal pitch.

It should be a ball, live ball, and the runners may advance with liability to be put out.

Rule 10, Section 13a and b Foreign Substance (page 115)
Do you favor allowing the pitcher to apply moisture or a foreign substance to her hand or the ball as long as it doesn't transfer any residue to the ball?

I favor application to either the hands or the ball.

I only favor application to the hands.

I only favor application to the ball.

No application should be allowed to the hands or the ball.

Rule 13, Section 1a Ejection/Suspension Coaches (page 173)
If a coach removes his/her team from the field, the coach shall be ejected and then suspended from the institution's next two scheduled and played contests in a traditional season. However in Rule 6-19 (page 65) the game is forfeited if a team is on site but refuses to begin play or after the game has begun, one side refuses to continue play. Do you favor this being a forfeit or ejection and suspension?

Rationale: The rules discrepancy needs to be resolved.

I favor a forfeit.

I favor ejection and suspension of the head coach.

Rule 13, Section 13 (page 175)
Do you favor requiring the umpire to notify the official scorekeeper to record any warnings for conduct matters in the scorebook, including ejections?

Rationale: This would make clear when warnings are issued. For example, if an umpire says "coach that's enough," all parties need to be clear as to if that is or is not a warning.

Favor

Not in Favor

Rule 14, Section 1d (page 180)
Do you favor requiring the official scorekeeper and visiting scorekeeper to be located in a neutral area to address all scoring discrepancies immediately. If the scorer's do not agree, the umpire will make the final ruling at the next half inning.

Rationale: This would help eliminate padding of statistics.

Favor

Not in Favor

Please list comments about the survey or other playing-rules issues below.

Once the arguments begin

Old Fri May 13, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Agree with Mike except:

4. Favor - although it is hard to imagine players stupid enough to put sunglasses in their pockets while playing.

9. Not in favor of going back to the old interp of OBS

11. Favor moisture on hand but not to ball

14. Not in favor. Can't see why an umpire needs to get involved with player stats.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo
Agree with Mike except:

4. Favor - although it is hard to imagine players stupid enough to put sunglasses in their pockets while playing.
I don't favor it because the sun occasionally takes a holiday and the glasses need to be removed. I'd rather the player (we are speaking "adults" here) to place them in their pocket, on the bill or around their neck then start and stop the game so they can throw the glasses to the dugout.
Quote:

9. Not in favor of going back to the old interp of OBS
Not sure what the "present" interpretation is, but I am not in favor of ruling OBS before it happens base on supposition.
Quote:

11. Favor moisture on hand but not to ball
Actually, the question is absurd. How can you add something to the ball on the condition residue would not be transferred to the ball?
Quote:

14. Not in favor. Can't see why an umpire needs to get involved with player stats.
You are correct, and I should clarify. I'm in favor of locating the scorekeepers in a neutral area, but not the umpire making a scoring ruling on a play.