The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Why is it that in baseball and softball, it is expected and tolerated that a coach leave his seat to argue with an official? It's not tolerated anywhere else, and serves absolutely no purpose. Basketball, it's a technical foul. Football, it's 15 yards.

I have no problem with a manager calling time to come discuss what he thought was a rule misinterpretation, or to clarify what the umpire saw if he thinks there may be a rule mis-interp.

I just don't see why there is ANY tolerance for a manager or coach coming onto the field (even if he called time) to discuss ANY judgement call.

Rules have changed to forbid arguing about balls and strikes --- why stop there. Any argument about a judgement call should be an ejection.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I agree. It also gets me in trouble as a SB guy working volleyball. I am so used to ignoring the sniper coach that I do not 'control' the game the way you are supposed to. In VB if a coach says something it's supposed to be a card. But, I am so used to not hearing the coach that after a match my partners often come to me and ask why I listened to so much from the coach.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Entertainment

I've got a theory as to why arguing is allowed in Baseball/Softball and not in Football and Basketball.

Its entertainment!

Football and Basketball are entertaining enough to the majority of viewers to not require the occassional argument from the coach. What can be more entertaining then a dunk or a trifecta with time running out? Or how about the perfect pass thrown to a covered receiver who breaks it for a long touchdown. These plays are entertaining in and of themselves.

Most of the time in a baseball/softball game is dead time. By dead I mean very little action. The pitcher takes the sign, then delivers the pitch. The batter often doesn't swing. So we have the pitcher and catcher playing toss. Don't get me wrong. This can be entertaining as well, depending on the pitcher. However, must people don't enjoy it as much.

I know I'd prefer to watch football or basketball. When it comes to baseball and softball, I'd rather play or officiate then watch it. Not enough action for most of the game, with the rare exceptions like a 6 run inning like the Braves had the other day.

Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Basketball, it's a technical foul. Football, it's 15 yards.
I don't know where you live, but it takes a lot, A LOT of nastiness for a coach in these sports to get T'd up or flagged. Any the higher it goes, the worse it is.

There is a reason I have always refused to work football, there are not enough yellow flags produced to handle the penalties I would call on the bench.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

It doesn't take that much in football. Grumbling while on the sideline is akin to yelling, "Blue! She was safe!!!" from the dugout.

But if a coach comes out onto the field to yell at a football official, I don't know a single one of us that wouldn't flag him.

I don't do basketball - but coming onto the court to complain about a call seems to be taboo there at all levels I've watched.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It doesn't take that much in football. Grumbling while on the sideline is akin to yelling, "Blue! She was safe!!!" from the dugout.

But if a coach comes out onto the field to yell at a football official, I don't know a single one of us that wouldn't flag him.

I don't do basketball - but coming onto the court to complain about a call seems to be taboo there at all levels I've watched.
Granted, I follow a fair amount of mid-level Div 1 BBall and Football, and the coaches are always, ALWAYS on the court/field with a T or flag never to be seen.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

As a basketball official, I know if a coach comes stomping onto the court to argue about something, it's more than likely a technical. At the high school level and below, coming onto the court is a major no-no.

Still, between basketball and softball (the only sports I work), I would say basketball coach behavior is infinitely worse. Every year when softball starts up again it shocks me how much calmer it is than basketball. Just because basketball coaches don't walk onto the court doesn't mean they're not just as much - or more - annoying. Their close proximity to the officials and the constant action of the game make it very different than softball. Though I don't think managers should just run out and start screaming, it seems like USC is less of an issue in softball than it is in basketball.

Sara
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

I agree with SF. First year doing officiating. Did BB then SB. After doing BB ,SB was literally a walk in the park. i have had 1 minor incident in SB that wouldn't even registered a blip on the BB radar.
I think thats because most of SB is more of a maintnance thing-not as many judgement calls. While in BB it is all judgement all the time.
Having said that i had the little pest yesterday who wanted me to ask for help on all of the judgement calls that didn't go her way. After the second one I just started telling her no. Through the end of the game every close call she wanted me to ask my partner for help. It got to be somewhat amusing as well as somewhat annoying.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

chessref,
A short story to stop that " pest ". One umpire told me that he just called into the dugout and asked the coach if she had a replacement for ( fill in the space - catcher, pitcher whoever the " pest " is ). When the coach replied yes the PU said " good, because you are going to need her very shortly. " He said the catcher ( in his instance ) got the message and was quiet after that. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it sounds like it might work.

I am presuming it was a player and not a coach. Don't know if it will work for a coach.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I have NO issue with a coach calling time and asking about a play that hes not sure about, JUDGEMENT or not...thats PART of his job. I will INSTANTLY eject a coach that runs onto the field during a live ball. A coach that comes running out on a dead ball gets slowed down and reminded to TALK and not yell. I rarely have any of these happen, but the more you defuse him, the better chance he will listen to you and remain in the game.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I think the big difference is the distance between the unpires and the managers in baseball/softball.

Genrally, in other sports, coaches will have an official within talking distance to discuss a call. Football has an official at each sideline that coaches can talk to. In basketball you have to report to the table so the coach is right there and can talk to you. In volleyball the floor official is right next to the benches. In those sports you can get an explanation without going out onto the field/court.

In baseball/softball though, you are a pretty good distance away from a manager and about the only way he can discuss a call is to come out onto the field. In all seriousness, how many of you would walk over to the dugout if a mananger yelled out at you to come over there so he could discuss that last call with you? I wouldn't think that too many of you would.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Basketball, it's a technical foul. Football, it's 15 yards.
I don't know where you live, but it takes a lot, A LOT of nastiness for a coach in these sports to get T'd up or flagged. Any the higher it goes, the worse it is.

There is a reason I have always refused to work football, there are not enough yellow flags produced to handle the penalties I would call on the bench.

LOL!