The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 09:36am
Ref Ump Welsch

This is intended for those who have mentored new umpires. I'm currently mentoring a rookie umpire, who has very little background in slow-pitch softball (played it for a couple of years), but has played plenty of baseball. The softball league here scheduled us to work together several nights during the first part of the season. We've already worked 3 nights of league play. I've been doing this for 11 years, already working the Open League (the top league in town), and worked some regional and national level tournaments.

Anyway, to the point. Question(s) I have are: How do you monitor your partner (the one you're mentoring) and still work your game? I try to keep a little bit of an eye on this new umpire so if I notice something that needs work, or can be improved on more, I can give that feedback. I guess what I'm trying to ask is....how far do you stretch it during the game as not to let it affect your work? Working with this guy has become a "pain" and did affect my work last night. Any input/advice, etc. welcome. I won't be offended by anything, as I'm going a little nuts over this situation.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Rachel,
In addition to working with folks I'm mentoring, I will go watch their games or even join in & make it a 3-man crew - and ask that they come watch me.

I've asked every one of them to keep a "diary" and we'll go over anything strange or not quite understood. Most of the actual mentoring goes on after the games - over a few cold drinks.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Is this new umpire eventually going to be doing games as a single umpire or do you usually have a two person crew?

If he is going to be doing games as a single umpire, then start out the pre-game by letting everyone know you are there to observe and only to correct any obvious rules misinterpretations (not judgement calls). This way you can focus more on his mechanics, positioning, and calls; and not the game itself.

If you are usually doing a two person crew, then you are stuck having to really pay attention to the game and not your partner. You don't want to be mentoring him in the wrong way to do things. I guess the best you can do is watch him when your attention doesn't need to be focused elsewhere. The only alernative there is to see if you can find a fellow umpire to actually watch your partner from outside the field. Maybe you know one who is playing on one of the teams you are umpiring and can give an honest evaluation or can come watch when they don't have a game.

This is often a short coming of SP is that no one mentors new umpires on mechanics and positioning. They are just basically given assignments in lower leagues and told to go call the game. No amount of rule reading and clinics can truly prepare you for the actual game. I think it is great that you and/or your association provides this for new umpires. When I first started there were a few umpires who either played on teams I umpired or would come over from their field between games and offer helpful hints. Our association didn't have a mentoring program, but all our umpires were willing to take time to help. Since most of them played also, they probably figured it was in their best interest to have competent umpires doing their games.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

When put it that situation, I will always try and keep as close a watch on the new guy as possible. They will blow some calls, and you really gotta let them live with it. If the situation warrants, I will try and "rescue them" from the wolves by speaking to the coaches, but NEVER tell the coaches I dis-agree with the call (they will know it).

I don't tell my partner "you missed that one" unless directly asked by them. I will ask stuff like "were you ready on that tag-up at second"?, or "were you looking for a pulled foot"?, or what would you have done if"? That will usually cause the ones who want to learn to ask questions, and trust you well enough to accept your cricism.

You gotta do your end, but there is still ample oppurtunity to watch the partner too.

You may also get one who is awful, and doesn't want criticism, (they read the book and already know all). For these, I would just ask not to be assigned with them anymore, and when asked why by the assignor, tell him!

Try and remember how you were "handled" when you were new. Keep the good and chuck the bad.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:26pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Thanks for the responses so far. Technically, our association really doesn't have a formal mentoring program. This gentleman used my name as a reference when he joined up this year, and the assignor and the president of the league both got the bright idea for me to become his mentor. So they assigned him to work with me a few times at lower level games so I can "keep an eye" on him at the same time. But I'm the type to really get into the game, and it's starting to throw me off a bit. I will have to give some of the ideas you are throwing out a shot.

I try to give him some feedback between innings on maybe 1 thing that came up during the inning, and then save the longer discussions for the end of the game. I've also encouraged him to come watch me work which he's planning to do one night this week. I hope he follows through. I'm also thinking of going to one of his games to observe. I'll also take the advice of having a fellow blue who's in the park, but not playing or working another field to come observe too if that can happen.

I remember what it was like when I started out. I started out in a small town, where we were pretty much on our own after registering with the state ASA. I was just lucky that the ball association there pulled in vets from the area who knew me from my younger days, and were great with feedback after the games. I never really had a mentor, although I did have a couple of umpires I would talk things over with when we had the chance. When I moved to the metro area, the association here at the time didn't have a mentoring program, but luckily I bumped into some umpires who had seen me play before, or I had played against them, and we worked from that.

This is why trying to be a "semi-formal" mentor and a partner at the same time is a new thing to me, and I'm having a so-so handle on it. Hence, my scream for advice! Thanks again.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, when I start with new folks, I put them behind the plate (hopefully lower level games ). I find I can watch what they do more efficiently. As PU, I have little time to read what my partner is doing right or wrong except " covering ' them on their own plays. If they can work behind the plate, they will learn the bases fine. If they struggle behind the plate, offer assistance between innings and let them adjust. You can watch mechanics, balls and strikes, positioning for plays and pitches, all while they are behind the plate. If you are behind the plate, you cannot monitor them as well.
Just my humble opinion.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest to the scheduler that you can probably do a better job mentoring if you are not always assigned to the same games as him. It's very hard to watch the other umpire when you have plenty of other responsibilities.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Rachel,
One caution about feedback - temper it with the likely thought that most folks can only concentrate on 1, maybe 2 changes at a time. It's easy to overwhelm folks, and we really don't want to do that.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

As a new umpire (2nd year) I have a couple of suggestions.

First, as others have said, you really have to be sure that the new umps are open to what you have to say. If they are not, they have much bigger problems, and you are probably wasting everyone's time. I always ask questions, before, during and after games - to the point that I'm sure that I drive my veteran umpires a bit crazy (right, John?).

Second, Don't overload your mentoree with every observation that you see during a game. I find that there are certain aspects of my game that, if told to correct them during a game, will actually lead to a worse performance (strike zone, for example).

Third, have him/her tell you what they thought of how they handled a certain situation rather than just telling them how to do it. For example, when I missed a ball hitting a batter as she was running up the 1st base line, my veteran umpire watching quized me on why I missed it. I had to determine why I was out of position, and what I should have done differently. It helped me to think about such plays, and how to position myselft correctly to avoid similar situations in the future.

Finally, I thank you for taking this project on, even though it has become a burden at times. We, as new umpires need people like you, and the good ones that have taught me, to help us become that best that we can be.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 05:42pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Steve,

Not to embarrass you, but my name is Brent, not Rachel. Regardless, thanks for your input.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Brent,
Shortly after my last post, I realized I was mixing a couple of userids - my apologies. But if that's the worst thing I screw up this week, I'm probably in decent shape. Now, having made that mistake & noting it, this one shouldn't happen again.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I think Steve is showing his age thinking about Racquel Welch the actress. I look just like her :-)
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
... concentrate on 1, maybe 2 changes at a time.
Excellent advice. I always give the new folks three things that I think they should work on over their next few games.

As for the game I am working, I almost never give advice in between innings. I will write things on the back of a line-up card and discuss it afterwards if needed. I worry about the things that are important like positioning and mechanics. Letting them know whether I thought they blew a call or not will not help them get better. Explaining mechanic errors that caused them to blow the call will be beneficial.

This all assumes that you are taking on the role of instructor as well as mentor. I think a normal mentor role is more being available for questions and helping with the intangibles, like local organization politics. You are right that instructing or reviewing their performance properly might need more attention than you are able to provide while concentrating on a game. Tell him that on your off night you will stop by one of his games and review him one night if he buys you a cold one afterwards.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
I think Steve is showing his age thinking about Racquel Welch the actress. I look just like her :-)
guilty as charged..........