The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Bunt attempt, I call 3rd strike, in the dirt, hits my shin, then bounces forward & hits batter running to 1st & she is now over the plate not in the box any longer. I called nothing. Was she out I wonder for interference ?
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Was she out? Depends on what you "saw" .

Technically, you are no different from the ground, so the call should be no different from the ball rebounding off a clod of dirt. (How does THAT make you feel!)
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

thats an interesting application of the dirt rule.

I dunno if calling that out is worth it.

This must be pondered in a Zen like manner..
hmm
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Bunt attempt, I call 3rd strike, in the dirt, hits my shin, then bounces forward & hits batter running to 1st & she is now over the plate not in the box any longer. I called nothing. Was she out I wonder for interference ?
Interference with a dropped third strike results in the batter-runner being out. Rule 8-2-6.

Interference doesn't have to be intentional. If she interferred with the catcher attempting to make a play, it's dead ball, and OUT.

Old Tue May 03, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

"...then bounces forward & hits batter running to 1st & she is now over the plate not in the box any longer."

F2 misplayed pitch. Ball hits runner.

Nothing. Keep playing.

Bob
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

What's the matter? Did we get tired of the U3K bouncing off the catcher threads, so now we are going to use the umpire?

Old Wed May 04, 2005, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

The ball hitting batter doesn't seem to have hindered anyone from making a play. If anything, it probably made F2's play easier ... less distance to chase the ball. I have nothing.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Homer
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Interference with a dropped third strike results in the batter-runner being out. Rule 8-2-6.

Interference doesn't have to be intentional. If she interferred with the catcher attempting to make a play, it's dead ball, and OUT.

Homer's got the rule, guys. She's out.
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down D3K

After bouncing this off a few of my fellow umpires, it comes down to this... The only way you can have any call but live ball play on is if the batter runner goes out of their way to kick the ball into the beachers.

The pitcher throws a bad pitch and the catcher in her attempt to stop the ball fails to lay a glove on it and now the ball hits the umpire and brounces out to hit the batter runner, if you call this interference, I'll tell you as the coach for the defense thank you for the freebie.

Same call if the ball hits the catcher and brounces out and hits the batter runner. She had her chance.

What about a D3K that goes to the back stop on a small area between the foul lines and the back stop with out being touched brounces back and hits the batter runner. I have seen it.

Live ball play on.