The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Fed JV Game - R1 & R2 on 2nd & 1st bases respectively... Batter with a count of 1 & 1... 2 outs....Next pitch a strike, which the catcher lets get by her and the batter (assumption here) thinking it was the 3rd strike takes off for 1st... Simultaneously R1 & R2 take off to steal their next bases on the loose ball. The catcher recovers the ball, fires it off to 1st and over F3's head. F4 backing her up sees no play at 1st throws to F5 to try and catch R2 at 3rd. (R1 has already got home). This ball is thrown past F5 and R2 goes home too. BR for some reason stayed at 1st.
Q1. What do you call,assuming she actually thought it was the 3rd strike?
Q2.a. What if the act was intentional, (Ooops No basketball here) deliberate? Is there any kind of interferrence here.
Q2.b. Is there any kind of unsportsmanlike play here?
Chuck Lewis
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Ok.....when she takes off, I am going to be hollering real loud.......THATS STIKE 2......2 STRIKES ON THE BATTER

At that point if PDC (pretty dumb catcher) still throws the ball into right field, I've got nothing.

After it's all over. Bring the batter back to the plate to finish her AB.

Joel
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Like Joel, I'm going to be hollaring "That's only STRIKE TWO!" in that situation if I think the batter was honestly confused about the count. OTOH, if I'm sure (150%) that the batter's actions were a deliberate attempt to draw a throw, I'm hollaring, "TIME!", and calling a penalty strike on the batter, now she's OUT, and we go on to the next inning (after possibly tossing a coach or player or both).

Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

This is JV ball, don't demand too much from these players or coaches. Most JV coaches are pretty good if they know enough to put the right number of fielders on the field. And most JV players are doing pretty well if they hold the right end of the bat. I agree with Joel's handling - I think Sam's would be OK but much more appropriate for varsity ball.

Chances are really good that the batter did think it was the 3rd strike. If I am completely sure that the batter knew there were 2 strikes, I could see a warning for unsportsmanlike conduct AND I might even take an out for interference - in JV ball this'll depend a lot on how the game is going.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

What do you do with the R1 & R2? Do you count the runs as scored or do you put them back on their original bases????
Chuck Lewis
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Runs score. Can't penalize offense because catcher doesn't know situation. Coaches have to train their people what to do.

Bob
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I like Sam's call, but I'm not sure you could call time before the play ends. If I've given the count, and reminded the batter verbably after the pitch that it was strike two and she continued to first, she is going to get the penalty strike for delay of game.

If the catcher throws even after I'm decaring that strike two, the runners are going to be able to advance at their own risk.

I've never had this happen in a softball game, but I did have it happen in a JV Fed baseball game. Bases loaded, one out, count 2-2. First base coach hollers "full count". I respond with a verbel count of 2-2 and show count high above my head. Next pitch obvious ball, BR and all runners begin to jog to next bases,and I loudly order BR to get back in the box and verbably and visually give count as now full. BR continues to advance to and touch first.
An alert defense turned it into an inning ending play by the catcher bluffing R3 back to third, then throwing out R1 at first as he retreated. Penalty strike on batter was out 3.

Didn't have to eject the coach, just told him he had 1 minute to get defense on field, and walked away from him.

Roger Greene,
Member UT
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Ya just never know what you're goning to see in JV ball. Just how hard did you struggle not to ROFL, Roger?