Thread: Your Call
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I like Sam's call, but I'm not sure you could call time before the play ends. If I've given the count, and reminded the batter verbably after the pitch that it was strike two and she continued to first, she is going to get the penalty strike for delay of game.

If the catcher throws even after I'm decaring that strike two, the runners are going to be able to advance at their own risk.

I've never had this happen in a softball game, but I did have it happen in a JV Fed baseball game. Bases loaded, one out, count 2-2. First base coach hollers "full count". I respond with a verbel count of 2-2 and show count high above my head. Next pitch obvious ball, BR and all runners begin to jog to next bases,and I loudly order BR to get back in the box and verbably and visually give count as now full. BR continues to advance to and touch first.
An alert defense turned it into an inning ending play by the catcher bluffing R3 back to third, then throwing out R1 at first as he retreated. Penalty strike on batter was out 3.

Didn't have to eject the coach, just told him he had 1 minute to get defense on field, and walked away from him.

Roger Greene,
Member UT