The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

14-17 Girls, Rec. level. League rule in past years said line up could include girls not present at game time, and if not present when time to bat just skip over them..
We got his changed to late arrivals go to bottom of batting order like normal.
Last night coach puts Holly in # 7 spot & she was not there yet and we had to skip her. I was at thier pre-season meetings & this was covered in detail. The coach was just pulling a trick if you ask me.
I rulled Holly out, and had her removed from the book..but as I drove home I thought maybe the coach should had been ejected ? Opinions please.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Well Chuck, You are talking about rec coaches, not the most informed bunch if you ask me!. Not to say they are morons, but they do not as a general rule study the rules, nor listen very well in pre-season, or pre-game meetings!

This coach was probably just making his line-up the way he made it last year.

I never heard of "skipping over" players who aren't there, we always add them at the bottom. One thing I do ask all the coaches when hannde a line-up (continuious order), is "are all these present"? It is surprising how many will say, "this one, and this one aren't here, she is supposed to be here, I doubt this one will come though, she hasn't made a game yet!"

I think I probably would have just scratched Holly and moved on. I see no need for an ejection. Can't see where coach was trying anything, he was just addled.

just my opinion........
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

CC;

Last night coach puts Holly in # 7 spot & she was not there yet and we had to skip her. I was at thier pre-season meetings & this was covered in detail. The coach was just pulling a trick if you ask me.

Since it was changed at beginning of season assest the out and carry on.
Don't think I would eject over this, unless of course the coach 'ejected'
himself by his actions.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

I don't think that you can call an out under book rules. Local rules, like batting the full team, will negate a lot of book rules, such as courtesy runners and substitutions. Normally local rules will cover a missing player simply by closing up the batting order.

Your book rule says that you call an out when there is no available sub to fill a missing position (ie injured player, player went home early, etc.) But what is an available sub under continuous batting rules? Is it not the next batter, regardless of whether or not she is playing defense?

Unfortunately, local Rec leaders never seem to understand the impact of a local rule. They need to identify all the book rules that have been negated, list them, and offer their local version.

WMB
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Ejected for what?

Attempting to pull a fast one?

Lucky for coaches that doesnt normally result in ejection.