The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

After finishing my first game last night, I stolled over to watch another game where I witnessed two very inexperienced teams and two very veteran official in a triple run-down triple play. How hard is it to run back second or first when there is a run-down between third and home? I thought I had seen it all.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:15am
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Did they want pickle with that triple run-down triple play? That's a play for the ages!
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

hehe...This wasn't Co-Ed by any chance was it? lol

Last night we had a funny play. Hard grounder to F6. F6 throws a bullet to F3. The ball tips his glove and gets past him. It nails the fence behind (which is in play) and rather than the usual drop to the ground, the ball bounced about 20ft in the air, right into F3's glove (who still has a foot on 1st). This all managed to beat the batter-runner and we had an "out".

Everyone was laughing after that inning. The score keeper wanted to enter "F6-F3-Fence-F3". *rolleyes*

Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

And I thought the double rundown between 1st/2nd and between 3rd/home was interesting. I'd have paid money to see that, especially if they executed it with 3 outs (and not 3 errors and 2 runs scored!)

Speaking of F3-Fence-F3, we played on a field with about a 18inch concrete bottom to the dugout. A bad throw from shortstop (or a really bad one from 3rd) could easily ricochet straight ot F3. I made at least 4-5 outs one season by simply turning around and awaiting the ball on a bad throw.

Caused some VERY interesting discussion about White-bag/Orange-bag both with a couple of umpires, and also here on this board when I told the group about it, since I routinely repositioned to the orange to make this play that was "coming from foul ground."
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I had a F1 to F2 to F4 to F2 triple play in a game last season. It is now in the opening of the school's weekly sports show. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it and I really didn't believe it when I did see it.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

I used to play softball in middle school on my school's co-ed team and the last out of our first game my 8th grade year went like this:

Fly ball to between right and center field, the center fielder is running to get under it and the right fielder is coming to back him up (the center fielder had the better jump on it) as he's backing up to get it, he loses the ball and it comes down and bounces off his head and into the glove of the right fielder. That play was the play of the year. It got mentioned at the end of the year at the sports banquet.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

LOL!

Classic.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

My craziest play

SP ASA. Tie ball game. We're in the bottom of the 7th or 8th inning. I can't remember which. The lead off batter hits a shot off of the fence for a stand-up double. The next batter, a guy, is intentionally walked. The batter after him is a girl. No, this is not Co-ed, but they were down 2 players so they picked up two girls. This is legal by league rules.

The walked batter is furious. He's making comments like, "You're a sorry team, walking me to get to a girl. I'd never play on a team like that." So what happens next, the girl gets a base hit. Now we have bases loaded. I'm thinking to myself, game over. The winning run is 60 feet from home plate. The batter who was walked is now at 2nd and he's still mad. He's jawing with the 2nd baseman.

Of course y'all probably know what's going to happen next. Yep! A triple play.

The 4th batter of the inning hits a line drive to the 2nd baseman. He catches the ball. The runners at 1st and 2nd are off the bag. The 2nd baseman steps on 2nd for out number 2 and throws to 1st for out number 3. UGH! The game went 9 innings and the visitors won!

Oh, and this was a Saturday game during the heat of the day in July! It had to go 9! I was tired after that game.