View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

I've been umpiring baseball for several years -- mostly summer youth leagues and high school ball. In probably 7-8 years and hundreds of ball games, I've had maybe 1-2 obstruction calls, ever.

I signed up through our state high school association to umpire softball for the first time this year. And, for whatever reason, every softball game I have been assigned so far has been canceled (rain, etc). So I'm still not quite sure about much in the way of high school softball, even though I did go to our clinic and worked a couple innings of a scrimmage at that.

My question is this: Is obstruction that much more of a problem in softball than it is in baseball? Is it likely that I'm going to have an OBS call every game or two in softball? It sure seems that way, with the questions I've read on this board.

(For the record, I have 3 softball games scheduled for next week, I guess I will find out soon enough....although one of the teams I have for 2 of those 3 games is far and away the worst in the area, so I might not learn a whole lot there.)