The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I know I could go tear up the book and answer this, but where's the fun in that?? =) (Seriously though, it's good for us rookies to think outload to help eachother on sitches).

Runner at third base. Batter lines a shot down the 3rd base-line. It hit's the runner at 3rd while he is in contact with the 3rd base bag. It bounces off his foot and goes fair.

I called fair ball, let play continue. (This is correct?)

Similar senerio:

This time it hits the runner at 3rd while his foot is -OFF- the bag, bounces off his foot and goes fair.

Do you kill the play and call the runner out? Or do you call the runner out and let play continue?

TYIA.

Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong on both...

But we don't have enough information to give the RIGHT answer. Where was the ball at the instant it struck the runner. Fair ground or foul ground? In all cases, you have a dead ball at that instant. What happens next depends on the location of the ball, and possibly even F5's position (was she close enough to make a play on the ball?).
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think F5 had a play. The ball was right at the 3rd base bag when it hit the runner, so I guess I would say it was in fair territory. It was so close you could even say it hit his foot above the bag.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 04:01pm
softball_junky

If the runner was in contact with the base when hit, dead ball award batter first all other runner stay where they are unless forced, if it was a fair ball. If foul, foul ball. If the ball pasted f5 and no other fielder had a play. Live ball, play on. If f5 was playing behind the base which is unusual in fast pitch or f5 didn’t have a play on the ball, your judgment, dead ball, and award batter first and the runner is out.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

It's slow pitch, BTW, the infielders are terrified and playing back lol. (Co-Ed DD)

This play wasn't exactly what happened to me last night, but made me think about some 'what ifs' that were close to what I saw. So thanks for clearing all that up for me.

I think I got it.