The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sof1a2004
Question

I've got another equiment question. I'm making the transition from slow pitch (no protective equiment) to fast pitch (a lot of protective equiment). I was wondering.... I've spent so much money already on the uniform and equiment and I still have a few things to buy. I've got all the must haves (mask, shin guards, chest protector, etc...) Do I HAVE to buy plate shoes right now? Currrently I only umpire girls fast pitch local teams (10U, 12U, and 16U) and the tournment season doesn't start for another 2 months...I was wondering if I could hold out on buying the shoes until then? I do plan on getting some, the question is when.

Erika
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

The plate shoes have helped avoid a bruise maybe 3 times in the past 3 years. I think you can live without them if you go into it knowing you'll probably take 1 or 2 off the top of your foot sometime this year. It hurts, but you'll live.

I do know someone that broke a bone on top of his foot once - but it was Div 2 NCAA.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

I only wear my plate shoes (aka; boat anchors) for 16U and above, or "A" class ball (of course baseball also, but I didn't say that on this board!). I have bieen hit a couple of times, the only one that really hurt was a pitch to the end of my big toe. It bruised up a bit, but no lasting damage. Check out some "cheapie" steel toed shoes from WalMart. Good protection will pay off in the long run. I did a DH (yeah, that BB stuff) yesterday, and after it was over I noticed a ball scuff to my toe. I hadn't even realized I was hit.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

No offense intended, but:

ANYONE WHO DOESN'T WEAR PLATE SHOES IS AN IDIOT!

If I had to choose a "level" to not wear plate shoes, it would be the advanced travel ball...batter catchers, etc. But I still wear them. I wear plate shoes at 10U, NCAA, "A" Travel Ball, league ball, doesn't matter.

A year after being hit, yeah, it doesn't hurt. But when you take the ball of the big toe in the first inning and have to hobble around for six more innings, then it hurts. How about the catcher who steps on your foot accidentally? With plate shoes, it doesn't hurt...without, potential serious injury. Or the foul ball off the top of the foot? It hurts without plate shoes, with good plate shoes you barely feel it.

I understand the problem with cost of equipment. That is one of the biggest "drawbacks" of starting to umpire fastpitch. Consider it an investment.

Wal-Mart used to carry a "goodyear" line of shoes that have good toe protection but little else...I'm thinking they were about 45 bucks. I currently have TWO pairs of plate shoes, one for inside and one for outside.

IN SUMMARY:

Office visit to doctor, with x-rays, treatment, etc: $150
Knowledge knowing your feet are protected with good plate shoes: Priceless
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

One more thing...

My plate shoes (Honig's K80W) weigh about 3.5 pounds each at size 14 extra wide. If that's a boat anchor, it's a really pathetic boat.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

What would you sugest for someone who wears a 12EEEE shoe?

I have yet to find any plate shoes that would fit me so I have to take my chances.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with FU, I won't ever do a fastpitch game without my plate shoes (at least not on purpose!!). I took a shot that probably broke my big toe in a 10U game my first year of umpiring it was LOW level "downtown" ball but since then I worn my steel toed work boots (they were boat anchors) until I could afford my POS that I have today.

Like FU said it is one expense that tends to be put off, and the $150 plate shoes don't have to be bought there are some decent $35-50 protective toe shoes that would fill in until you get the $$ for the nice ones!
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukat
What would you sugest for someone who wears a 12EEEE shoe?

I have yet to find any plate shoes that would fit me so I have to take my chances.
Call Honigs, ask to speak to one the Honigs themselves (assuming you're calling the Michigan Main Office), tell them your situation. I did the same thing last year and this year. Got three pairs of shoes to try, and shipped back the ones that didn't fit. Didn't get charged for anything until I had picked my pair.

I wear, normally, a 13 EEEEE...that's one size longer and one side wider than you. I wear 14Wide plate shoes from Honigs...the 13's are too short, but the width is pretty good. Went to a 14 and it's fine...I wear two pairs of socks normally, and I also wear cushion supports for comfort.

Seriously, the K80W are good shoes, look good, lightweight, and are plenty wide for me!
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
No offense intended, but:

ANYONE WHO DOESN'T WEAR PLATE SHOES IS AN IDIOT!

We will 2nd that!!!!!!!

Further, with the right equipment, you will feel protected and less likely to dance around when the pitch gets away. With the proper care, a good pair of plate shoes should last at least 3 or 4 years. After that, they become my Mud Plate Shoes and a new pair is purchased.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Dont starve your family to get them.

You could get injured if you dont have them.. then again, I took a shot to my ankle a few days ago and I wear plate shoes.. didnt help.

I think the saying goes you will only need them twice this year, just cant tell you when.

I didnt get them for a few years into it. 12U plus and that ball is coming. 16U and that ball will really be coming.

Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
Dont starve your family to get them.

You could get injured if you dont have them.. then again, I took a shot to my ankle a few days ago and I wear plate shoes.. didnt help.

I think the saying goes you will only need them twice this year, just cant tell you when.

I didnt get them for a few years into it. 12U plus and that ball is coming. 16U and that ball will really be coming.

It is not the pitch that usually gets you, it is the ball coming off
the bat. Age groups don't have much to do with it. No bragging here,
just a statement. I rarely wear plate shoes. I own them, but, just don't
use them that often.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm just unlucky but I bought plate shoes (Spot Built high tops $99 - look ugly but worth it) and I took two foul tips, one 50 mph fastball, and two catchers stepping backwards onto my foot in my first year.
I agree; priceless!
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Not being a smarta## here, just wondering, how did you determine that
the ball was traveling at 50MPH. Well, maybe just a small smarta##.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Wow! Talk about a tough crowd!
Actually I was going by a statement that was made to me by my partner after the game telling me that this particular pitcher had been clocked at 50 mph, so that pitch must have stung. I'll try and be more careful in the future, though.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rj
I'll try and be more careful in the future, though.
Don't bother - We'll just find something else to rag on you about!