The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Related to the plate shoes discussion, what are your thoughts on protecting hands?

Obviously there is no protective gear for the hands, except for the old external chest protectors. Particularly on foul tips there is seemingly a huge exposure. Even a cheap pair of sneakers offers a certain bit of protection for your feet, but your hand bones are insanely exposed.

Catchers put their meat hand behind them and is the only position that is taught not to catch with two hands.

What say ye?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

If you are correctly getting into the "slot" position you will be sitting down (rather than bending over). Tuck your arms to your body and bring your hands next to each other hanging freely between your legs.

Even if your hands do get hit (I've never had it happen), they will give with the impact. You may bruise, but have minimal chance of breaking bones.

Do not place your hands on your thighs or knees! They are not only more exposed, but there is no give and you will break bones if hit there.

Another advantage of this arm position is that it gets "the wings" in. If your hands are on your thighs you elbows will point out (and be more vulnerable).

WMB
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 09:23am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo
Related to the plate shoes discussion, what are your thoughts on protecting hands?

Obviously there is no protective gear for the hands, except for the old external chest protectors. Particularly on foul tips there is seemingly a huge exposure. Even a cheap pair of sneakers offers a certain bit of protection for your feet, but your hand bones are insanely exposed.

Catchers put their meat hand behind them and is the only position that is taught not to catch with two hands.

What say ye?
tcannizzo,
I keep my hands in front, wrists on inner thighs, palms down and very relaxed.
On rare occassions, my indicator will get knocked to the ground because of the loose grip I use.
mick

Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I agree w/you about the exposure of the hands. One thing I was told by a senior umpire and I've tried is, as I drop into position I grab the back of my thighs right above the knees. I'm not sure how this looks but it does privide some protection.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Solely to beat Mike R to the punch...

It's impossible for the umpire to get hit by a foul tip.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Solely to beat Mike R to the punch...

It's impossible for the umpire to get hit by a foul tip.
Talking fastpitch now. Catcher sets up for outside pitch. Pitch comes inside at the belt. Catcher completely fooled. Batter tips...Look out Blue! Full frontal assault.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Its not a foul tip, foul tips have to be caught by the catcher. That's the point MC is making. Maybe saying "tipped ball" is a better choice of words.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 10:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
Even if your hands do get hit (I've never had it happen), they will give with the impact. You may bruise, but have minimal chance of breaking bones.
I agree, WMB.
But if it's never happened to you, ...?
mick
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

And Aevans gets the prize!

If you got hit by it, it's a foul ball, not a foul tip.

Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Cool Protecting hands

Because of a genetic condition, I am more likely to break bones than most people. Therefore, I take more precaution than most to prevent getting hit in unprotected areas. I have a repetitive motion that I use that not only protects my hands, but gets me in the same position for every pitch. When I go into my squat, my hands go palm-down under my thighs. On the first pitch for each batter, I mentally note where my hands end up and go there every pitch for that batter. This will change with each batter because I like to keep my eyes at the top of the zone whenever possible. Keeping my palms and hands facing the pitcher keeps the meat of my arms facing the pitch. If I get hit, it's in the muscle. Elbows are away from the pitch and directly by my side.

This is just my two cents and what works for me. In the four years I have been umpiring, I have been hit in my arms less than ten times, none giving me more than just a bruise.

The way Mick describes it is the way our association teaches it, and is what works best for most of our umpires.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I agree that it is impossible to get hit by a foul tip. Rookie mistake. Thanks.

I s'pose my question is directed to those who would not think of calling a game without plate shoes. Perhaps I should re-phrase it to get to the point of my question:

a.)Is pain, broken bones more likely with feet than with hands?

b.)Are you more likely to get hit in the foot than in the hands?

c.) Does anyone put both hands behind their back? I raised this question at the National Umpire School to Jim Craig. He said he was OK with it, but it would be up to the individual UIC.

I have been calling with hands in front, pretty much with fisted hands and my thumbs at the belt, or slightly below. Just looking for the optimal approach to avoid injury. I can live with pain, but would like to avoid injury.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Ill be honest, I call more baseball than softball. I set up just like WMB described. I have yet to take a ball directly to my hands. I have taken them to the wrists and forearms though. I have taken quite a few off of my foot however. Loosen your hands so if a ball does hit you there, there is some give.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Hands

My hands are in the same position on my body as what Mick described earlier. I have been using that position for years and have had no problems, other than picking up the occasional indicator. Couple bruises, but nothing broken.

Is there a perfect place? Nope...
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I struggled with this for awhile myself. Currently, I place my hands in a loose fist right at my waist and tuck my elbows in to my sides. This seems to work well, but I did get hit by a foul ball right on my knuckle last week.

I tried using the position with my hands hanging down between my legs, but found that I was getting hit in the hands more often, no injuries, just annoying.

I also tried placing my hands on my lower thigh behind my knee, but did not feel like I was stable in my stance.

I guess the best thing is just to experiment with different positions and find the one that you are most comfortable with.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know how it would work for umpires, but I have seen some players with gloves that look like weight lifting gloves except padded from the wrist to the top of the fingers. I don't know where to get them or how much they are.