Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gozer
NFHS Rules,
Pitcher is on rubber and brings ball and glove up to the heart (mid chest), i believe this is called adressing home plate. Anyway. She drops the hands and goes back to like a bowling swing then brings the hands back up to that "adressing home plate" position and back down and back then around in "windmill" and releases. Does this count as 2 or 3 times around (there is 3 passes of the hip). If so there is an illegal pitch in there then.
I underlined some things I'll talk about first, one trivial, others with more substance.

It's a plate, not a rubber.

There is nothing in the rules about "times past the hip" except (in NFHS) a comment that the ball does not have to be released the first time past the hip.

There is no requirement to address the plate or present the ball or any such thing. The requirement in the general category of pitcher preliminary mechanics is she must take the catcer's signs (or appear to take them) with the hands separated, and then bring the hands together for at least 1 sec and no more than 10 sec, and then begin the windup and pitch the ball.

Are the hand together when she goes back the first time or are they separated?

If separated, it is clearly an illegal pitch (double touch 6-1-4-b)

If together, probably also illegal under NFHS, but it would be a judgment on whether the motion is part of the windup or part of the preliminaries. (In ASA, it is legal if the hands have not separated because separating the hands is ASA's division point between the preliminaries and the pitch.) NFHS states that the pitch starts when the hands are separated or the pitcher makes any motion after bring the hands together that is part of the windup.

If the windup has started, then the motion violates NFHS 6-1-4-c, namely there is a reversal of the forward motion (other than the allowed backswing).

WMB may be along later to provide a better answer.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Only one thing I'm certain of...

Gozer the Traveler - He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Who ya gonna call?
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Gozer Send a message via Yahoo to Gozer
I am Gozer the Gozerian, Gozer the distructior. Vulgla sal sildraw the travaler has come.

Anyway, she comes up to the hands together at the chest twice durning the course of the pitch. The intent is to throw off the batter. I'm just lost on weather it is illegal or not.

Take care,

Kenny
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Based on my visualization of your description, wherein the pitcher is bringing the hands together, hands begin their motion back behind, staying together, come back in front of the body, still together, and then separate for the backswing for the windmill, I may be inclined to IP this for NFHS. That is a lot of motion after bringing the hands together and may very well look to the batter (and more importantly, to the umpire) like she has started her delivery. Illegal reversal.

For ASA, this would be legal.

There are much more experienced high school umpires on this board than I, however (I just branched out from ASA to school ball last year).

WMB? Rachel? Glen?
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Ya she parts her hands after coming up the fist time and goes back and then brings them back and puts them back together. It threw me off dooin first base...

Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

If the hands separate and come back together, it is illegal in both ASA (6.3.B) or NFHS (6.4.b).

If the hands do not retouch, it is still illegal due to the stop and reversal of the forward motion (ASA 6.3.C), (NFHS 6.4.c).

If the hands stayed together during the first back swing, you could make a case for IP in NFHS, but I think that I would have to see the complete pitching motion a couple times to make my call. As noted, legal in ASA.

Whatever, the young lady needs some coaching. Not only to eliminate the IP's, but to become a better pitcher. Too much motion at the begining of the pitch accomplishes little and tends to throw the pitcher out of sync. Too many pitchers do too much up front and then get the stride foot out too soon. When the arm is still at 11:00 or 12:00 when the stride foot lands they become arm throwers. Not good!

WMB
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Only one thing I'm certain of...

Gozer the Traveler - He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!
Have you got two usernames (gozer)? If not, your scaring me with these left field replies. Stay in the game man.

Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 04:49am
Official Forum Member

Nope that was someone else quoting "Ghostbusters"

Take care,

Kenny
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 05:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gozer
Nope that was someone else quoting "Ghostbusters"

Take care,

Kenny
Not sure about mcrowder quoting g'busters acurately or you replying back to my quote to him..whats that about? Maybe I just dont follow these threads as close as others.
Anyway, I think if I called an IP around here (ASA slowpitch), Ild never get called to officiate another game.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

Really slow pitch is a different game. If I forfited every team that had been drinking in my visual sight I wouldnt officiate either... Kinda falls under the ya its a rule but it dont get called unless it is agregious.

Take care,

Kenny
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
unless it is agregious.
[/B]
Webster please.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Conspicuously bad or offensive. Flagrant.

Sorry cant spell, it is with an e insted of an a.

Kenny
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

rhsc - I was quoting G-Busters because of the name of the original poster (from the other thread) and the title of this thread. Gozer. The name (I'm assuming) came from that quote from Ghostbusters. The speech was from Rick Moranis's character, and one I've memorized ever since.

If that is still not clear, PLEASE don't cross the streams - that would be bad.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

LOL