The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I like the facemask rule for a number of reasons.
One is that of course, we don't see the facial injuries due to a ball coming up in the batters face on a bunt.

One of the biggest reasons I like it, is that I see batters who used to pull up on an attempt now stay in there and hit that inside pitch that used to scare them off.
I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have a game that involves hitting instead of just strikes.

I have seen a runner sliding in to a bag have her face saved by that same facemask when a defender awkwardly lays down a tag or just plain handles the play badly and gets some body in there.
Had this last night, well coached Fed team, shortstop awkwardly tried to get a tag on a runner from 1st and ended up with her knew in R1's mouth. Nothing malicious, just poorly handled. Shortstop survived but R1 went off in seach of a trainer and took a trip to the ER to haver her lip sewn up.

Very similar play situation in the next game but this time with a facemask, shortstop had a sore knee for a couple of mintues but the runner was just fine and safe due to OBS.

Game carried on with now problems. This runner accounted for run 9 of a 10 run game.

Face masks are a plus and were before being mandated.
I don't like some goody two shoes group trying to control us all but this one was a good idea.

Personally, I don't know of (right off of the top of my head) any reputable college program that doesn't use facemasks.
The best travel ball coaches I know required the mask long before being mandated. They knew the value of their players and how much money Moms and Dads had invested in their kids mouths.