The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Guys, I was curious if a dead ball appeal in ASA JO FP was done in a similiar manner as baseball? For example, an opposing batter hits the ball into the right center gap and cruises in to 2nd for a stand up double. A representative from my team (after the play is over and the ball is back in the pitching circle) requests time and asks the PU for an appeal beacuse she thinks the batter/runner missed touching first base. In this situation, would it be necessary for the pitcher to throw over to first and have the F3 touch the bag before getting a ruling? Also, am I correct in assuming that the ball isn't dead until ruled dead by an ump or it has been returned to the pitching circle with the runner committed to staying on the bag until the ball is pitched?

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I know these are pretty mundane questions. However, a lot of this stuff is still greek to me.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clueless
Guys, I was curious if a dead ball appeal in ASA JO FP was done in a similiar manner as baseball? For example, an opposing batter hits the ball into the right center gap and cruises in to 2nd for a stand up double. A representative from my team (after the play is over and the ball is back in the pitching circle) requests time and asks the PU for an appeal beacuse she thinks the batter/runner missed touching first base. In this situation, would it be necessary for the pitcher to throw over to first and have the F3 touch the bag before getting a ruling? Also, am I correct in assuming that the ball isn't dead until ruled dead by an ump or it has been returned to the pitching circle with the runner committed to staying on the bag until the ball is pitched?

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I know these are pretty mundane questions. However, a lot of this stuff is still greek to me.
Dead ball appeals can be made by any infielder with/without the
ball verbally. This would include the pitcher or catcher.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

O.k., thus the procedure would be calling time and asking for an appeal at first and then get the ruling. All without actually throwing over, is that correct?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

O.k., thus the procedure would be calling time and asking for an appeal at first and then get the ruling. All without actually throwing over, is that correct?

That would be the correct procedures, otherwise you would have a live
ball appeal.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks again. This is a great forum. I really appreciate all of the help.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, am I correct in assuming that the ball isn't dead until ruled dead by an ump or it has been returned to the pitching circle with the runner committed to staying on the bag until the ball is pitched?
In fastpitch, returning the ball to the circle does not result in a dead ball. The ball remains live. Unless the ball went dead for other reasons (e.g. thrown or hit into dead ball territory) the defense needs to request TIME prior to a dead ball appeal.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Also, am I correct in assuming that the ball isn't dead until ruled dead by an ump or it has been returned to the pitching circle with the runner committed to staying on the bag until the ball is pitched?
In fastpitch, returning the ball to the circle does not result in a dead ball. The ball remains live. Unless the ball went dead for other reasons (e.g. thrown or hit into dead ball territory) the defense needs to request TIME prior to a dead ball appeal.
O.k., thanks. I thought I was misinterpreting that. Once again, I appreciate all of the help.