The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Question

One out runner on first BR swings and misses at third strike.Catcher drops ball and BR runs to first after umpire calls strike three batters out.BR draws throw from catcher to first base and R1 seeing throw takes off for second. Interference or no call thanks

[Edited by jeffrey g. skinner on Mar 6th, 2001 at 09:14 AM]
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Wihch side needs to know the situation?

I don't have my rule book with me today, so caveat emptor.

Speaking ASA, the rules now place equal onus on both the offense and the defense to know the game situation. Therefore, in the situation you describe, the mere running to first by the B(R) does not consititute interfence. If the catcher throws to 1st in an attempt to retire the already retired, then you have a DC (dumb catcher).

On the other hand, if the B(R) makes an obvious move to try to get in the way of a pickoff attempt on the runner, then you have interference.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
The mere act of a batter running to 1st on a dropped third strike is not in an of itself interference. A good mechanic for the plate umpire to use is to loudly call out, "The batter is out! The batter is out!" If the catcher still throws down to 1st then you just have a RDC* and you simply let the play develop. Just be careful that you don't use this mechanic with two outs.

*RDC - Really Dumb Catcher
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Thanks for the reply, I have seen this play in FED JV ball and have seen it called both ways. Ijust wanted to make sure I was making the right call.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

This play actually happened in a game I coached last week. runners on 1&2 when third strike was dropped. The umpire did not call the batter out immediately. Thankfully our catcher has enough sense to know the rule and threw the runner out at 3rd. I agree that this type problem could be taken care of by a decisive out call at the plate.

CK
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Wink

Hawkeye,

It sounds like you have a very sharp catcher. As often as not, when the BR runs on a dropped third strike with a runner on 1st, it will confuse the runner into thinking they have to run as well and a smart catcher can get an easy out if she knows what to do with the ball, which BTW, thwarts the very intent of the rule in the first place which was to prevent easy double plays... go figure. Oh well, dumb runner + smart catcher = easy DP. Buyer (coaches) beware.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Actually Sam it was her first game to catch in 3 years but she has been playing ball for 12 or 13 years (our regular catcher,who would not have made the right choice, was injured and this girl was pressed into duty). Another point your post brought to mind is some of the coaching tactics I have seen in the past. I have seen some teams teach kids to run to first base on strikeouts( sometimes even if the ball isn't dropped). They do this just in case a similar situation arises. Many times the catcher will throw down to an occupied first base which allows runners on 2nd to advance easily. This is something that we worked on with our kids after the aforementioned incident.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Motive for teaching...

I have also seen teams that obviously teach their batters to always run on strike three without regard to whether the pitch was dropped.

However, this is at the younger ages, and it was always my belief that this was a way to make them learn to not forget about the dropped third strike, rather than a way to try to get a RDC to throw the ball.

The younger kids (12U & below) are embarassed / upset with themselves for taking a called third strike or for the swing and miss, and most of the time don't remember to be aware of the dropped ball until the coach yells, "RUN, RUN!!" Of course, that also energized the defense and they usually easily throw the better out. So, the coaches drill into them to always run.

At least that is what those I am familiar with were doing.

Older ages, different story. Then it would be an attempt to catch the defense napping.