The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2001, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Ok...I confess, I'm a basketball official conned into doing softball for the first time. In the study guide, the COR is addressed and I know that the answer is .47.... But what are they talking about?
Thanks!
Chuck-Basketball Ref Gone Astray
BTW... In case of a tie for the tag, what mechanic do you use for jump balls? I haven't been able to find the table or an arrow either...
Old Mon Mar 05, 2001, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

COR

The COR rating designates the hardness of the ball. The higher the rating the harder the ball and therefore, the higher performance it will have. ASA regulates the COR rating as a safety measure.

As for your other questions, the tie always goes to the runner, the mechanic is the same as "safe" and the only jumping is done by the coaches when you fail to make this call ("Tie goes to the runner" - Jim Booth's baseball myth #16 - also applies to softball).

You probably missed the "table" because it is so small - it is just a clipboard the scorers use, and the possession arrow is actually called a "half-inning"

[Edited by Dakota on Mar 5th, 2001 at 05:02 PM]
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Re: Tie goes to runner.

How often do I have to remind you guys, you can't make any money calling safe or ball. We get paid for outs and strikes!!!!!! d

Seriously, a bit of good advice (I believe I heard it originally from Carl Childress) was that on the banger that could go either way, to give the benifit of the doubt to the team executing the play well. ie: F6 reaches into the hole to snag a shot and makes an execelent throw to 1st resulting in a banger, call the out. Conversely if F6 fumbles a routine ground ball, and as a result of the fumble we have the banger at 1st, call the runner safe.

In my experience, you will get little grief following this advice.

Or you could tell both coaches that you are really just a referee and that it was just too close to call, so we're going to have a "do over".(G)

Roger Greene,
Member UT

p.s. COR = coefficient of restitution

[Edited by Roger Greene on Mar 6th, 2001 at 07:57 AM]
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

COR...

Everyone makes such a big issue about COR when its the Compression that truely effects the hardness. COR may be a measure of how hard the core actually is, but its the Compession that keeps a ball rock hard all game long. The higher the compression the harder the ball will remain. A ball with a high compression and a lower COR, such as a .44, may actually be livelier than a mid-compression COR .47 ball. Its the combination of COR and Compression that really determines just how lively a ball is and how long it remains that way.

Besides...Tie always goes to the umpire
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

So let me see if I have all of this right...
1. COR - Coefficient of Restitution.... Legal issue.. Presumably a phrase out of LA Law..
2. The "Table" is much smaller and no arrow to go to..
3. The court has holes to reach into..
4. We have throws instead of passes...
Q1. I'm still not sure how I'm going to rip off my face mask with one hand and still have enough fingers left to report violations to the clipboard on players F6 through F9...
5. "Do overs" are a possibility if you need a second opinion..
6. On a tie at any base, 2 thumbs up is going to have very little meaning..
7. And if you expect to get paid you need to call a few strikes and an occasional out or two...
Q2. I wonder if there's a payscale for strikes and outs? Or one for each??
This is going to be fun... I have my first game tomorrow! My association assured me that I'd only have to work bases this season... Hahahahahaha... Tomorrow I'm working the plate... By myself..... No BU... But I'm sure I'll have an understanding audience...
I'm ready! Play Ball!

Chuck Lewis
Fool
Member CA
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Foolish is as foolish does ;)

No, no, no, you still have it all wrong!!!

Coefficient of Restitution: That is how much you get paid as compensation for damages after the ball finds the one unprotected part of your body.

The holes are only reached into if they have been shot into. Another reason for restitution.

We have passes, too. But in softball, a passed ball is an error. You really want to avoid passes.

If you rip off your mask at the wrong time, you won't have any fingers left, period. Nose either. (See restitution)

If you need a second opinion, just ask the coaches. Or the fans. They will be glad to help out.

Two thumbs up means a double out on the same player. Very rare play. Not unheard of though. (See 4th out)

Yeah, you do need to call a few outs, because otherwise the game will never end. And you won't get paid.

Good luck.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Talking

Dakota said:
    We have passes, too. But in softball, a passed ball is an error. You really want to avoid passes.

Except from the GLM*s in the stands.

*GLM :: Good Looking Moms... or GLDs for the lady umps. 8-}
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Chuck.........

Just be glad you don't have to listen to fans hollering:

THAT'S over the back

Now why wasn't THAT a foul.

THAT'S reaching.

THAT'S a backcourt violation......Isn't it??

Joel

BTW.......there are no T's is softball.......sigh.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
Don't forget to give us a report after your game tomorrow.
Roger Greene,
Member UT
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

No, no, no, no, no such thing as a tie going to the runner.

It's real easy to remember which way the call goes.

If you beat the ball, it's yours. If the ball beats you, it's theirs. If they both get there at the same time, it's mine! OUT!