The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BretMan

Yes, he assured me it was the right place. Simply attend 3 out of 4 weekly meetings, pay your ASA and association fees, and by golly, you too will be a card-carrying, officially certified, honest-to-goodnes ASA umpire!

I asked if I would be required to take the ASA test at the end of the classes. No, I was told, you can take it for practice, but we don't require it for certification.

I bet that's NOT the way they do it in Delaware, Mike!

[Edited by BretMan on Mar 7th, 2005 at 02:51 PM]
I've been saying that for years.

We have 5 consecutive 2 1/2 classes (each Wed in March). We skim the definitions, cover a fair amount of equipment and field facts, just enough to get a rookie's feet wet.

We use about three people a night so you don't get bored listening to the same person all the time. Will read some rules, but usually put the book down and go from there. We encourage questions, but not "what if" questions. The students are told that we will answer any question, what if's included at the end of the evening.

A test is given on last night, but will walk around room and help out by walking them through a play, but not just outright give them the answer.

A state school is required within the first 3 years. Due to size, we only go one day. Lecture while we work. Strongly urge everyone to go first year. We also encourage all umpires to attend every clinic possible.

Not perfect, but we have a feeling of accomplishment, especially when watching the rookie umpire develope. Good feeling.

Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the imput guys.It seemed to go 50-50 until I read Down Town Tony Brown's last post.I never want to think I am "too qualified" to attend this school because of my experience.I am always striving to learn more and improve even though I am doing some high level games at this jucture of my umpiring.I plan on attending the NUS and approach it with an open mind as if I were a rookie.I am sure I will be able to pick up something I didnt know or be corrected on a mechanic I might not being doing correctly.Thanks again for everyones imput.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
I attend the first one this year in Columbia, SC. I learned alot from the NUS. Had good National Umpire Staff there. Bernie, Jim, Dick where great.. That was the second time I had Jim Craig in a Clinic. He is great. I pick up one thing from him last year and it stick to me. Bernie Profoto is excellent, he had us to slow down and wait for the play to develop and then call the call!! I will be working on that this year.

I just wish I had the $$$ this year to go to the Fastpitch Clinic in So.Cal. California is home to me, but I guess I'll have to wait for next year instead, since I now live in Georgia.

We are having our Georgia State Clinic in April, we will have Merle and Henry to give class to us on those two days.

Look in forward to see Merle again..
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

NUS

Been to two of them and ALWAYS pick up something. One thing that was stressed to me and a couple others in Portland a couple weeks ago: don't use NCAA mechanics in ASA play. I know that several of us do both...and I had gotten to the point where I would use NCAA mechanics most of the time. We shouldn't in ASA because not all of our partners are NCAA umpires, obviously, and we should, in championship play especially, all be on the same page.

It's too bad the hospitality was canceled at the one school. The networking aspect is crucial. If you have a Regional clinic, that is a wonderful place to do just that.

Merle will be in Portland later this month...can't wait to see him again.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

ASA National School

I attended the national school a few weeks ago in Catonsville, MD and found the session informative. Had the weather been nicer, it would have been more productive to be on a field instead of a gym.