The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Sesquipidalians are rarely good communicators when addressing the masses.
Ummm, I think you meant "sesquipedalian."

Admittedly, language is a bit of an avocation of mine, and I am NOT a teacher - I'm an engineer (a group that as a class is almost infamous for sloppy writing), but even so, the only reason I brought up the "they" issue was because that ASA test was absolutely painful to read.

[Edited by Dakota on Mar 6th, 2005 at 08:33 PM]
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

Admittedly, language is a bit of an avocation of mine, and I am NOT a teacher - I'm an engineer (a group that as a class is almost infamous for sloppy writing), but even so, the only reason I brought up the "they" issue was because that ASA test was absolutely painful to read.

You are correct, but the point being I clearly communicated only to those who understood the word without looking it up. You think maybe that was 2% or so?

The rules are like the mechanics taught. They must be suited for teaching 40K and not less than the 2% that go on to work the higher levels of softball.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the answer - isn't it?

Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
... any ball in SP that hits the ground before it's contacted with the bat is a dead ball and a ball [is awarded to the batter]. Period.
Haven't done ASA Slow Pitch in awhile but that is definitely the way I remember it. Pitch hits the ground, it was dead - no more play.

That was before the introduction of "stealing." Did this fundamental rule change when they allowed the athletic wanna-be to try and show his prowess by stealing?

Mike, when did they allow people to through styrofoam bricks? Just funnin'
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Here's the answer - isn't it?

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

Haven't done ASA Slow Pitch in awhile but that is definitely the way I remember it. Pitch hits the ground, it was dead - no more play.

That was before the introduction of "stealing." Did this fundamental rule change when they allowed the athletic wanna-be to try and show his prowess by stealing?
As far as being able to hit the ball, no. As far as becoming dead, yes as it pertains to levels which allow stealing.
Quote:

Mike, when did they allow people to through styrofoam bricks? Just funnin'
Right after my fingers started typing before my brain kicked in
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

I watch some ISA tourneys this weekend and I think what irish has said is right on. Why does watching ISA matter? Glad you asked. This scenerio isnt a dead ball there and allows way too many base advances, say on a ball that passes the catcher. I think the ASA having seen how some of the other leagues work this has done the right thing with the dead ball, especially since mens sp is allowing the steal now.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtfreek
I watch some ISA tourneys this weekend and I think what irish has said is right on. Why does watching ISA matter? Glad you asked. This scenerio isnt a dead ball there and allows way too many base advances, say on a ball that passes the catcher. I think the ASA having seen how some of the other leagues work this has done the right thing with the dead ball, especially since mens sp is allowing the steal now.
ASA does allow stealing and the ball is not dead when it hits the ground unless it touches the plate or in front of the plate. The stealing is a good thing.

This discussion is about the ball becoming dead because the batter hits it after it hits the ground or plate.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

We are allowing it here and if its not allowed, why all the rules about it in the book?
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 01:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

You are correct, but the point being I clearly communicated only to those who understood the word without looking it up. You think maybe that was 2% or so?

The rules are like the mechanics taught. They must be suited for teaching 40K and not less than the 2% that go on to work the higher levels of softball.
I was gonna look it U.P., but I couldn't spell it.
mick