View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule

I don't think it's illogical or amateurish, or whatever other pejorative you want to apply, to question whether a swing and miss—in a legitimate attempt to hit a ball in flight—should be called a ball because the ball hit the ground a split second before the bat went past it.

Show these sentences to 50 ASA umpires and you will get a variety of interpretations—except from the mind readers who have the uncanny ability to discern when the ASA book is to be taken literally and when it is not.
The first comment alone indicates to me that you have not completely read the rules or refuse to accept anything other than what you want to read. I don't know what your agenda may be, but I'm unimpressed by the position you often take.

Discussion is fine and helps people along the way. When an issue is raised, discussion takes place, rules are read, opinions are offered and known interpretations are offered, sometimes first-hand. Yet, it seems there is often something you don't like.

Constant complaints about grammar, syntax, context, plural demonstratives seem to take precedent over the rule itself. The rule book is a tool for umpires and coaches to follow as the manner in which the game should be played. The only manner in which it is effective is if it communicates to ALL of those people, not just the literary-sensitive.

I am not stating that the ASA rule book is perfect, it's far from that. However, I don't care as long as it fulfills the purpose for which it was meant.

Henry Pollard often tells a story about a "Super" play who didn't care for a strike that was just called. The batter turned to Henry and, with a snarl, asked, "Where was that pitch at?" Henry immediately corrected his grammar. The player took his advice and replied, "Okay, where was that pitch at, ***-hole?" Henry stopped correcting player's grammar.

People used to pay good money to through bricks, real or styrofoam at a TV screen showing an annoying Howard Cosell. Dennis Miller could not hold the job at which many oafs like Dan Dierdorff, Sonny Jurgeson, Don Meredith and a host of others thrived. Sesquipidalians are rarely good communicators when addressing the masses.

Just because something doesn't pass your grading curve does not mean it is not suitable to accomplish it's purpose.