Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: OK

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61

Ok, this is new information to me.
This senario was brought up last year with members of the casebook committee and their interp at that time was NO OBS.
Rules change, interps change, life goes on.

Thanks Serg
Actually, I think I was sitting next to Serg at this breakout session.

Remember, if the runner is no longer attempting to reach the base, it is nothing as long as the defender had the ball (in this specific case) upon contact with the runner. If there is subsequent action after the defender loses the ball, obstruction is the call. If the fielder has the ball and loses it, the fielder cannot obstruct the runner attempting to reach the base.

Stop right there, Tom, I can hear you thinking. Obviously, if the defender is laying on top of the runner without the ball, it is going to be obstruction as the runner isn't even in a position to attempt to touch the base at that point.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

obstruction

If F2 had initially caught the ball... we would have had an out.

F2 bobbled the catch but remained in the basepath.

Without a catch the runner would have scored... except for the basepath being obstructed by F2. That's Obstruction!

Say! I haven't been here in awhile...

I recently attended a baseball clinic. The clinicians were saying that we should no longer show the delayed dead ball signal (beer can at arm's length) but should just yell "That's Obstruction!" and let play continue. Anybody hear of any similar guidance or has ASA/NFHS made a similar mechanic's change?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Tony,
No change to the softball mechanic. Grab the beer.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Tony,
No change to the softball mechanic. Grab the beer.
Now, that's a mechanic I can get into...
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: obstruction

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

Say! I haven't been here in awhile...

I recently attended a baseball clinic. The clinicians were saying that we should no longer show the delayed dead ball signal (beer can at arm's length) but should just yell "That's Obstruction!" and let play continue. Anybody hear of any similar guidance or has ASA/NFHS made a similar mechanic's change?
Ridiculous.

I'm sure everyone is going to hear an umpire announce the violation over the offense coaches screaming at the runner, the defense coaches screaming directions to the fielders and the 25 other ballplayers just screaming.

How many times have you called "dead ball" only to have the teams continue play? Happens to me quite a bit and I am not a quiet person.

OTOH, this belongs on another board, doesn't it?