The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

One more and I promise I wont post again at least till tomorrow. Season starts in 2 weeks and the better prepared the more I enjoy.

SIT: B1 hits a ball to left as he turns 1st is obstructed by F3 as the ball bounces once and goes over the outfield fence in fair territory in the umpire judgement the runner would of made it to 3rd if not obstructed with. Does the ground rule take precedence and B1 is awarded 2nd or obstruction the call awarding B1 3rd.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

2nd base by the ground rule. The obstruction is inmaterial if the batted ball goes out of play, as 2nd is as far as she would have reached. Two base award from time of pitch.

Its not unusual with a quick runner, that if the ball had remained in play, she would have made 3rd base, but by the ball becoming lodged,bouncing over, or going through the fence she is forced to remain at second.

Another example you might consider: Batter hits a fly ball to outfield. F1 watching the ball and enroute to back up possible play at plate obstructs BR before she reaches 1st base. We would signal the obstruction, but would not make any award if the ball is caught in flight, because the batter would have been out on the catch. The obstruction was inmaterial to the catch.

Roger Greene
Member UT
Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Ground rule doubles

When my oldest was 10, we were preparing to go to the ASA State tournament and were playing in a large post season tournament before State.

The weather had turned bad and the girls fields in the complex became unplayable. The remaining few games were played on a converted Pony/Colt baseball field. We made it into the championship game after having an early loss.

Last inning and score tied.......we have a runner on 1st with 2 outs.....Our BIG hitter was up and absolutely crushed one to right-center. R1 is already home and the BR coming into 3rd when it became apparent that the ball rolled UNDER the outfield fence......It was probably 300 feet

The umpires had to get R1 back out of the dugout and place her at 3rd and put the BR back at 2nd.

These 10yo's had a hard time understanding and it deflated them a bit......we wound up losing and coming in 2nd in the tournament. I wound up making a big deal about the hit by our BIG hitter and tried to turn it into a positive.

We did go on to take 5th in State that year though.

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Feb 17th, 2001 at 09:41 AM]