The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Umpiring brothers and sisters,

The best teacher is experience, but knowing a few preventative measures helps also. I am a co-leader of the local high school officials association (serving about 70 schools) and wanted to know what you all know.

My question: what are some examples of preventative officiating you have used in the past? With coaches? With players? With partners?

Here's an example: If I haven't worked with my partner before, we hold a pregame meeting. During the game, we constantly have visual contact. When teams take conferences, or between inning, or whenever possible, we'll talk about possible plays and coverages. EX: runners on 3B and 1B, no outs. Close game, time is called defensively. I'll meet with my partner up third baseline to discuss (reminder) of fly-ball coverage, run-down coverage, etc., that may happen in game.

Please, share with us your "methods."
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Being a 2nd year ump im very interested in the responses to this post! We are hosting state for 14u and16u this year and i appreciate all your views,stories,sharing of knowledge,etc.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

I too think this is an excellent topic...
Preventative umpiring can take on many different levels, from telling the pitcher to watch herself when she is in that nether world of being borderline illegal, to not allowing a coach to do stupid things (there is nothing that will kill a game quite like a lineup card problem) to an almost constant communication with your partners, and I don't care what level that you are working from an ASA National or Division 1 NCAA to a 10u Rec game... one of the things that I pregame with every umpire that I work with no matter the experience level is EYE CONTACT between hitters, and sometimes between every pitch a nod and quick glance can go along way to keeping everyone on the same page... I also want to know if my partner is gonna chase, which direction he is gonna go on the sharp line drive to the right fielder when in A all those little things that can happen...also communication during the play, calling out if someone has the backend in a rundown, as the old saying goes when you deviate communicate... There are numerous more but i'm beginning to get longwinded

[Edited by jstark23 on Dec 29th, 2004 at 11:49 PM]
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Very good post John! I learned a lot about communicating from someone i have only called with once,i havent seen him again,i hope he comes back this season and i get to call with him again! He said,if i can only teach you one thing it is,COMMUNICATE,COMMUNICATE,COMMUNICATE!
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
I am a firm believer in preventive umpiring.

Here's a technique that works for me as BU when a runner is getting a little too quick off the bag on her lead. I won't hesitate to ring her up if she leaves early, but I'd rather tell the first base coach to "keep her legal." That usually keeps them on the bag a fraction longer and lets the players decide the game.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by argodad
and lets the players decide the game.
Why is the player not "deciding the game" when she "decides" to leave early?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Preventative umpiring, IMO, should be used to prevent FUBAR situations rather than to prevent ordinary infractions by the players.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

2 very good points,i usually just ring em up for leaving early,but i do like that idea of warning the 1st basse coach to keep em legal.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Talking to your partner before and during (in between and time outs) the game is always good. But please lets us know more.

I love learning more stuff on this site!!!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jstark23
I too think this is an excellent topic...
Preventative umpiring can take on many different levels, from telling the pitcher to watch herself when she is in that nether world of being borderline illegal, to not allowing a coach to do stupid things (there is nothing that will kill a game quite like a lineup card problem) to an almost constant communication with your partners, and I don't care what level that you are working from an ASA National or Division 1 NCAA to a 10u Rec game... one of the things that I pregame with every umpire that I work with no matter the experience level is EYE CONTACT between hitters, and sometimes between every pitch a nod and quick glance can go along way to keeping everyone on the same page... I also want to know if my partner is gonna chase, which direction he is gonna go on the sharp line drive to the right fielder when in A all those little things that can happen...also communication during the play, calling out if someone has the backend in a rundown, as the old saying goes when you deviate communicate... There are numerous more but i'm beginning to get longwinded

[Edited by jstark23 on Dec 29th, 2004 at 11:49 PM]
I underlinned where I thought MG slipped in.

Good Post John

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

oh Lord Glen, I hope that I don't get that longwinded...