The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

I need some help. Please cite the specific rule. ASA

R1 on second, 2 outs. R1 attempts to steal third, catcher sets up to throw, batter steps backwards into the catcher (probably in an attempt to get out of the way).

Batter out.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

[Edited by KJ'sDAD on Dec 4th, 2004 at 10:36 PM]
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Hey Kev

I thought the base runner was already at 3rd and leading off the base after a ball call at the plate. Since there was nothing "intentional" about it, the call surprised us.

Hey, what are you doing up so late??

[Edited by Deirdre on Dec 5th, 2004 at 03:01 AM]
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Dierdre,

You may be correct regarding where R1 started out. I doesn't really matter why the play was being made at 3rd.

The only thing that I can guess is that the umpire judged that she stepped out of the box and into the catcher. No intent required if she's out of the box.

I think that's how ASA 7,6,P reads, but I'm waiting for the experts opinions.

Kevin
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ'sDAD
Dierdre,

You may be correct regarding where R1 started out. I doesn't really matter why the play was being made at 3rd.

The only thing that I can guess is that the umpire judged that she stepped out of the box and into the catcher. No intent required if she's out of the box.

I think that's how ASA 7,6,P reads, but I'm waiting for the experts opinions.

Kevin
Kevin,

You are correct, if the batter stayed within the confines of the batter's box, the action must have been intentional. If the batter left the batter's box, it is just plain interference.

Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

The real problem here is that we are playing in an indoor league (our only option this time of year in the northeast), and there is not a lot of room behind/around the plate.

Batter, Catcher and PU are all real cozy back there.

I guess what I need to understand is when is the batter deemed out of the box. Is it one foot out and one foot in? completely out of the box?

Kevin

[Edited by KJ'sDAD on Dec 5th, 2004 at 08:30 AM]
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

i would assume if one foot is completely out, then she's out of the box ... same as when the batter steps completely out of the box and makes contact
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ'sDAD
I need some help. Please cite the specific rule. ASA

R1 on second, 2 outs. R1 attempts to steal third, catcher sets up to throw, batter steps backwards into the catcher (probably in an attempt to get out of the way).

Batter out.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

[Edited by KJ'sDAD on Dec 4th, 2004 at 10:36 PM]
The rule you are looking for is ASA 7-6-P-1,
Quote:
The batter shall not hinder the catcher from catching or throwning the ball by stepping out of the batter's box.
EFFECT: The ball is dead, the batter is out and each runner must return to the last base that, in the judgment of the umpire, was touched at the time of the interference.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

North East ?

Where were you playing this particular tournament ? We play indoor ball here in Indiana and we have the same problem with room. We give a LOT of consideration for the make-up of the building, field, dugout location, fire exits and other items. We try and remind the coaches that these games while being played for serious training are exactly that...training oppurtunities. We do not give advantages to the offense or defense due to unnatural configurations (building, saftey exits, fire alarms, ect.) To call a batter out in this particular stitch I would have to see some very deliberate act of interference by the batter. No diferent than outside. We have plenty of room around plate for this to happen and some of these batters are smart enought to know what they can and cannot get away with (and so are the coaches). Go to this address and clic on the "tour" to see our indoor facitily. http://www.sportzoneindy.com/facilities/facilities.htm
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

This is recreational Winter we all do every Winter to help get players ready for school ball. Very tough to be a catcher because of how tight it is at home plate. Our own catcher was afraid to throw down to third in a similar situation as there were 5 coaches all standing within 5 feet of the 3rd base. I was wishing the whole game that the Ump would enforce the rules that there be 1 base coach and all other adults from both teams be behind the dugout fence.

I am hung up on the words "intentional and deliberate" - the batter didn't deliberately try to interfere with the catcher. The catcher had stood and taken a step after catching the pitch. With the catcher being behind the batter, the batter didn't know where the catcher had to go because of the Ump going to the right of the plate to see the activity that might was occurring at third.

She did what batters do naturally when I runner is leading off third, looking to steal home after a pitch. She took a step back and out to her left to get out of the way, anticipating the runner might come all the way to the plate and slide.(The runner never did more than take a healthy lead and take her time getting back to third)

This is the first time I have seen an Ump make this call in all the years of both softball and baseball that I have watched. Even the toher team;s coaching (Kev included) was surprised at the call. ;-)
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Other than a HTBT situation, it sounds like interference since B1 steps out of the box. Now, what say you on the proper penalty? What happens to B1? What about R1?
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

There were already 2 outs, so the batter was called out and the side retired.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Bandit,

Below is the link to the facility web site where we play. No turf, all dirt.

http://www.strikeone.com/strikeone/index.html

As Deirdre points out, I was surprised by the call given the limitations of the field. I'm certain there was no intent involved, quite the contrary. I think the batter was doing her best to avoid both the catcher and the umpire.

Quote:
This is the first time I have seen an Ump make this call in all the years of both softball and baseball that I have watched. Even the toher team;s coaching (Kev included) was surprised at the call. ;-)
If we had been on a regulation size field she probably would have still bailed out of the box, but would not have been anywhere near the catcher to draw the interference call.

Quote:
We give a LOT of consideration for the make-up of the building, field, dugout location, fire exits and other items. We try and remind the coaches that these games while being played for serious training are exactly that...training oppurtunities. We do not give advantages to the offense or defense due to unnatural configurations (building, saftey exits, fire alarms, ect.) To call a batter out in this particular stitch I would have to see some very deliberate act of interference by the batter.
I agree with that policy 100%. That's why this call was so unusual, at least given the venue.

[Edited by KJ'sDAD on Dec 6th, 2004 at 04:03 PM]
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Our own catcher was afraid to throw down to third in a similar situation as there were 5 coaches all standing within 5 feet of the 3rd base.
The kid has a cannon for an arm. She was afraid she would kill one of those coaches.

At this facility both benches are on the same side of the field. There is only about 4' of foul territory on either side of the field. It is impossible to see the plate from inside the dugout. Both offensive and defensive coaches typically will stand outside their respective dugout to view the plate and send signs, whether it be to the batter or catcher.

We all try to be a small as possible, but it's easier for some than others.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KJ'sDAD
Quote:
We all try to be a small as possible, but it's easier for some than others.
Although I can dive behind one of the larger bodies when a foul rips down the line ... not behind you, though, Kev ... you are too skinny *ROTHL*