The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

This one happened during my weekend game. I'm just a player...not an ump. I wonder if the right call was made.

Our runner crossed home plate but missed tagging it by several inches. He made no attempt to get back and touch home because the catcher was standing there with the ball and would have made the tag. The defensive team immediately started yelling at their catcher to go over and tag our guy, who was almost to our dugout. The catcher started to go towards him, but came back to the plate when our other baserunner ran from 3rd to home. The second runner crossed home plate without being tagged out, but then the ump called our previous runner out when he left the field of play and entered the dugout.

My questions: should the ump have called our runner out even though no tag was applied? The defensive team had not made a protest, other than to yell at their catcher to make the tag. Also, would the second run count since he crossed the plate before the "out" call was made? I doubt it, but just wondering.

Thanks!
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crumii
This one happened during my weekend game. I'm just a player...not an ump. I wonder if the right call was made.

Our runner crossed home plate but missed tagging it by several inches. He made no attempt to get back and touch home because the catcher was standing there with the ball and would have made the tag. The defensive team immediately started yelling at their catcher to go over and tag our guy, who was almost to our dugout. The catcher started to go towards him, but came back to the plate when our other baserunner ran from 3rd to home. The second runner crossed home plate without being tagged out, but then the ump called our previous runner out when he left the field of play and entered the dugout.

My questions: should the ump have called our runner out even though no tag was applied? The defensive team had not made a protest, other than to yell at their catcher to make the tag. Also, would the second run count since he crossed the plate before the "out" call was made? I doubt it, but just wondering.

Thanks!
JMHO, but I don't think a proper live ball appeal was made.
Since R1 was not out at this point, I would have allowed the
run by the second runner. Don't do much ASA, but that would
have been my ruling at the time.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Quote:
Originally posted by crumii

Thanks!
JMHO, but I don't think a proper live ball appeal was made.
Since R1 was not out at this point, I would have allowed the
run by the second runner. Don't do much ASA, but that would
have been my ruling at the time.

It doesn't appear that there was a dead ball appeal either. I don't think R1 should have been called out for entering the dugout, (assumed to have touched unless properly appealed).
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Chiming in with agreement here.

A proper appeal was not made, so there should have been no outs and both runs scored.

Now, if the proper appeal had been made (even a dead ball appeal made after the following runner scored), and that was the 3rd out, then neither run would score.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

All the catcher had to do was step on the plate and appeal to the ump. After the appeal was upheld for the third out, no run could then score.

In ASA, as soon as a runner misses the plate, a fielder in possession of the ball can step on the plate and appeal to the umpire. He does not have to tag the runner. There are no criteria such as in baseball, where if the runner is in the vicinity of the base or attempting to return, he must be tagged.

In the play you described, it doesn't seem as if a proper appeal was made. Just telling the catcher to tag the guy is not appealing to the umpire. Also, you didn't say how many outs there were. If the appeal out was the third out, no following runner could score. Otherwise, the ball would still be live and runs could score.

Brings up an interesting question. Is it a valid appeal if the catcher is standing on the plate with the ball and a different player appeals the miss to the umpire?
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
All the catcher had to do was step on the plate and appeal to the ump. After the appeal was upheld for the third out, no run could then score.

In ASA, as soon as a runner misses the plate, a fielder in possession of the ball can step on the plate and appeal to the umpire. He does not have to tag the runner.
Not totally true. In this situation it is, but this is not absolute for a dead-ball appeal which would be another thread.

Quote:
In the play you described, it doesn't seem as if a proper appeal was made. Just telling the catcher to tag the guy is not appealing to the umpire.
No, but pursuing the player in question is an indication of an appeal and I'll accept it.
Quote:

Also, you didn't say how many outs there were. If the appeal out was the third out, no following runner could score. Otherwise, the ball would still be live and runs could score.

Brings up an interesting question. Is it a valid appeal if the catcher is standing on the plate with the ball and a different player appeals the miss to the umpire?
If the player entered DBT prior to the catcher returning to the plate, I'm ruling the runner out. If not, that runner is good unless the defense makes another appeal.