The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I know all the associations are coming up with rules on what to do if you are caught using an altered bat (1-2 year bans and so forth) but I do not see anything in NFHS about it. What is the penalty if you get caught with an altered bat? I heard that there is a school in the area that just got caught with a Miken Ultra II painted to look like a Freak and I was asked what would happen to them and I did not have an answer past the original Out/Ejection for using the bat in the first place. Anyone else know?
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukat
I know all the associations are coming up with rules on what to do if you are caught using an altered bat (1-2 year bans and so forth) but I do not see anything in NFHS about it. What is the penalty if you get caught with an altered bat? I heard that there is a school in the area that just got caught with a Miken Ultra II painted to look like a Freak and I was asked what would happen to them and I did not have an answer past the original Out/Ejection for using the bat in the first place. Anyone else know?
Not the umpire's problem

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I know but I guess I am the cat because now that I was asked my curiosity is getting the best of me. I can find in in the other associations books but I don't see it addressed in the NFHS one.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Can I take the lack of responses to mean that noone has a clue to the answer?
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I don't think that's a Fed issue. In Pennsylvania, we'd have a bit of paperwork to file with the PIAA and THEY would handle any suspension or other "like" penalties. I suspect that most other states will have similar handling.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

so what are some of the repercussions in the other associations, you got me curious now

Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

The game umpire will only enforce the playing rules - that is, DQing the player, etc., for that game only.

Any other penalty will, in all cases that I know of, be handled by the TD (in the case of a tournament) or the league commissioners or the state/metro area commissioner, etc. according to their by-laws.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Well they came back with a ruling. Coach disqualified from participation in practice and games for remainder of season. $500.00 fine to the school and they had previously asked the owner of the bat (one of the player's parents) to allow the association to inspect the bat further and they refused so the y put wording in the decision that made a suggestion to the school that the parent who refused to send bat to the association "should be dealt with in a very strict manner" and it goes on to suggest that the parent should be banned from all further contests. But yet they did not make that last part mandantory. Sounds like a small slap on the wrist to me as they are still allowed to participate in the playoffs.