Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Double 1st base question:
Single umpire system ASA.
Semifinals Men’s D
No outs / no runners on.

BR hits ball sharp on the ground to F3 (First baseman), ball bounced out of glove and toward 2nd base side. (F1) Pitcher covering 1st base, looking to receive ball on full run…misses white bag but lands on foul side touching orange bag. (no collision) BR touches orange bag after pitcher passes first base. My call at the time Safe / no touch of white bag…(sold it!!!) UIC who witnessed the play came to fence after inning was over and told me that the fielder has the option on errant throw. That the fielder and or runner have the option to touch either base. (8.2M3)p106. My understanding was that the throw had to come from the 1st base side in foul territory for this to occur. But reading the rule again it seems to give this option. After the game we sat down and looked it over… the prior rule (8.2M1) p106 has “an infielder” highlighted. Stating that the defense must use the white portion of the bag. So now we are both confused. I do think it was the intention of the rule to let the defensive team have an option or a bigger target to force an out…but is to prevent a collision on first during routine plays. Reflecting I still stand by my call, being there was no attempt to avoid a collision, an if the orange bag was not there, there would have been no touch on the bag.
Please help.
Vinney
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Your call was correct as I understand the "errant throw" exception.

"Errant throw" in this situation means a throw that is not caught so the return attempt to make the play is coming from 1st base foul territory.

It is not intended to give the defense a larger base for making the "stretch" for the catch.

I wish ASA would put this interp in writing instead of the current situation of coming from the NUS.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Your call was correct as I understand the "errant throw" exception.

"Errant throw" in this situation means a throw that is not caught so the return attempt to make the play is coming from 1st base foul territory.

It is not intended to give the defense a larger base for making the "stretch" for the catch.

I wish ASA would put this interp in writing instead of the current situation of coming from the NUS.
It is.

Quote:
8.2.M.3. On any force out attempt from the foul side of first base, or an errant throw PULLING THE DEFENSE OFF THE BASE INTO FOUL GROUND, the defense and the batter-runner can use either the white or colored portion.
In the scenario given, the throw was neither errant or did it pull F1 off the base into foul ground.

Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

My point, Mike, was that the wording could be understood to mean a wide throw that causes the fielder to pull the foot to make the catch allows the fielder to touch the orange bag for the out.

The fielder is off the base (pulled foot). It is an errant throw (wide of the mark).

Not the situation presented by Vinney... it was just a side comment.