The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Allow this rant from my past weekend tournaments.

Worked two separate tournaments at same Festival. One was Women's FP and the other was Youth 14U Open.

14U Open: I'm BU. Batter squares to bunt, goes after a high inside pitch...from my view at 1B, definitely ATTEMPTS AT THE BALL. PU from his preying mantis position stands up and points kind of at me but more at the walnut tree in right center. Doesn't say a word. I hesitate. He points again, so now I can assume he wants an appeal. I say, "Yes" and raise the hammer. Coach questions if he called it or not. PU screams "he's the one who called it, not me!"

Women's FP: Partner and I talked tournament about BU going out on fly balls. WE both agreed that they should and that PU would pick up responsibilities for base runner(s). Situation 1--I'm PU, BU goes out on fly ball (it was going to be close to fair/foul and was a great sliding catch). I see BU turn, move wide towards circle to take runner to 2B if needed, see the catch, wait, wait, wait, BU never signals. I finally signal. I ask BU why no signal: It's not my call!

Situation 2--Should have know this would happen. Similar play to before, but I'm BU, ball diving towards line, FP does great soccer slide catch. As I start to signal out, I hear my partner say "out". I turn, and PU is about 10 feet down line, right on line, big smile on the face and a weak looking out call. I ask after the game: Why did you make that call,I was right there? Response: It's my call, I have all fly balls. My next questions: So why did I bother to go out? Response: to see if the ball was caught, but that was my call to make.

Inside I'm thinking "thankfully it was the last game we had together. Keep strutting around the diamond like you own the place. Eventually something will bite you, and bite you good. And I'll hope we're not together on this game when that happens."
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

maybe you'da been better off solo plus game and a half pay.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Oh Boy. Been there, same things, way too many times. And had the same thoughts as you each time.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Situation 2--Should have know this would happen. Similar play to before, but I'm BU, ball diving towards line, FP does great soccer slide catch. As I start to signal out, I hear my partner say "out". I turn, and PU is about 10 feet down line, right on line, big smile on the face and a weak looking out call. I ask after the game: Why did you make that call,I was right there? Response: It's my call, I have all fly balls. My next questions: So why did I bother to go out? Response: to see if the ball was caught, but that was my call to make.

FU...FU...FU,

If you and Bandit can't work and play well together......

Instead of complaining about him making the call, thank your lucky stars that the ball was caught. How about this for a possible ending......

Slides near the line and doesn't catch the ball, but makes contact in Fair Territory. You signal fair ball while your partner yells loudly "Foul Ball".....Discussion to follow

See Ya Tommorrow
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Hold on there partner .......

Excuse me Mr & Mrs Kellerumps. I don't believe I was with Mr. FUBLUE at this particular game. If I would have been we would have never had to speak BEFORE the game about him as the BU going out. I always assume I'll have to cover his calls weather he stays IN or goes OUT !!!!! :-)
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hold on there partner .......

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
Excuse me Mr & Mrs Kellerumps. I don't believe I was with Mr. FUBLUE at this particular game. If I would have been we would have never had to speak BEFORE the game about him as the BU going out. I always assume I'll have to cover his calls weather he stays IN or goes OUT !!!!! :-)
And that my friend, is why I like to work with you. I know that if I don't want to make a call, all I have to do is wait long enough and you will take it away from me!
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I hope this is sarcasm, if not I hope I you guys don't work together anymore. It's getting personal
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Not to worry, hahnhdwe. These guys know each other. It's just friendly banter.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Sarcasm, yes!

Bandit and I know each other...we umpire quite a few games together during the season. Kellerumps are friends of ours and we've worked with both of them.

That being said, he's still terrible!
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

FUBLUE....did you do anything else to correct the situation....maybe give input on proper mechanics?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
FUBLUE....did you do anything else to correct the situation....maybe give input on proper mechanics?
Yes, but it didn't work! What got me was whe I asked WFP tournament UIC to talk to other ump, I got "must have had a bad game." Seriously, I don't do everything right, and I want my partners to discuss things with me...get picky, that's the only way I'll get better.

I guess I'm spoiled in the sense that I work regular HS ball, college ball and summer ball with really good partners who COMMUNICATE. I think these plays can be broken down into good communication/bad communication. I had no idea when BU was going out on calls, didn't know if this umpire was covering a base for me, etc. I ended up changing my mechanics to a "wait and see what other ump doesn, and then cover for them so we both don't look stupid." What really burns me is this ump has only been doing this for 2 years and won't listen to anyone who doesn't have authority over how far this ump moves up "the ladder." Maybe I'm just jealous, but for crying out loud people, the first thing we stress is COMMUNICATE, and that included before during and after the game.