View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 01:36pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Amazing what the last night of Coed league play will do to some players. Here's the situation: Bottom of the third, home leading by 13, 2 outs, runner on 3rd. Guy comes up to bat, walks. Lady starts to put one foot in the box and looks at me and asks if there's 2 outs. I told her 2 outs. She backs out, drops the bat, and heads to 1st. Catcher is also the coach and looks at me and says "she put a foot in the box, she's supposed to bat." I said, no, she has until the first pitch to decide whether she'll take the walk or not. Coach's scorekeeper in the stands starts to yell the same thing. I call time, walk over to the scorekeeper, told her same thing I told coach, and warned her one more peep out of her, she won't be watching the last game of the season from the stands. Game ends a couple minutes after that on 15 run rule.

I start to turn around and get ready for the next game, and the scorekeeper comes over and tells me I was wrong to let the gal walk to 1st base after she put a foot in the box. I asked the scorekeeper, "what rule are you applying?" She said I don't know, but I know it's in the book. I asked her if she read Rule 8 lately, and she was like, what's Rule 8? I said if you don't know, then you don't know the right rule. She turned around and said "**** you", and I replied, "I hope you enjoyed your season."

Got home, and looked at my ASA case book. Guess what? Exact same situation is in the book, and I had it right of course. I slept good last night knowing I could put someone in their place like that, especially on the last night of league play.