The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Just as Mike and Jim mentioned what seems to be acceptable obstruction (particularly with the catchers blocking the plate on steals from 3rd), I'm surprised by some of the illegal pitches that seem to be completely ignored by the umps/commentators.

Did anyone see the Australia/Japan game this morning?

That #7 pitching for Australia (I believe her name is Tanya Harding -- ha ha) was clearly sliding her pivot foot back (towards center field) several inches and then forward again during her delivery on the majority of her pitches. I can't believe the camera angle was lying on that many pitches. Those were illegal ... right ????

Let alone some of the leaps I've seen during a couple of the games ... ouch.

In a year where our CSA leaders sent us several mailings detailing the pitching rules and telling us to 'eliminate the causes of illegal pitches', I'm amazed at what some of these olympians are 'getting away with'. The commentators don't even mention it, although they might not be familiar with the intricacies of the pitching rules.

The rules must be slightly different for the olympics.

(... and, a couple truly horrific calls at 1st base ... I think a couple of those base umpires are considered more about putting on a show than anything else)