The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

ASA rules.

Pitcher delivers the ball toward the batter but the ball is very low, probably slipped out of her hand. As the ball is rolling near the plate, the catcher steps out in FRONT of the plate and fields the ball.

Illegal pitch? Catcher's interference? Ball?

The ball clearly had the impetus to cross the foul lines near the plate but the catcher fielded it a good 3 feet out in front of the plate, completely denying the batter the opportunity to hit the pitch should she have chosen to do so.

It seems to me that has to be something OTHER than simply calling it a "ball."

If a batter swings at a pitch that bounces 10 feet in front of the plate ... it's a strike. If a batter hits a ball that initially bounced 10 feet in front of the plate ... it counts! What do we do when the catcher comes out of the catcher's box to field a pitch that bounced 10 feet in front of the plate?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Fed specifically covered this scenario, maybe two years ago. If that is or appears to be a hittable ball, then you've got catcher's obstruction. I do not see this in Bennet's softball differences book, so I'm calling it the same way for ASA - if I ever see this situation.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

ASA says that this is called a ball (immediately), and the ball is live, so you would expect the catcher to come out and field the ball, especially if runners can advance.

NFHS does not declare it a ball, nor allow any defender to field it IF IT IS HITTABLE. So it is either going to be a strike, or a hit ball, or a ball. In your situation, if that ball was hitable, the call is catcher obstruction.

WMB
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

I witnessed this play, that's why I ask. When I see strange things I can't help to think what the proper ruling should be.

It was like the pitcher threw a groundball to the batter. It was clearly unintentional - most likely a slip. Yet, the ball was bouncing in the direction of the batter. It wasn't one of those crazy slips where the ball slams into the ground at the pitcher's feet. I've seen that before.

Clearly the batter had no intention of swinging at a pitch that was rolling toward her on the ground. But that's not the point. SHE COULD HAVE HIT IT! Sure, it would have been like using a 9-iron, but, nonetheless, the batter COULD'VE struck at it. But the catcher denied her that opportunity by popping out of the batter's box and fielding the ball. The ball was not still. It had the energy to roll well past the plate.

There were runners on base.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

If the batter did something then a decision would have to be made, since there was no action by the batter it is a ball. Would've, could've and should've let the mind wander and all kinds of answers pop up but nothing happened and "Blue" made the correct call, ball.

The Bagman
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

ASA 6(FP).11 DROPPED BALL

Quote:
If the ball slips from the pitcher's hand during the delivery, a ball is declared on the batter, the ball will remain in play and the runner(s) may advance at their own risk.
It is quite apparent that if the umpire judges the ball to have slipped, a ball is immediately ruled. If a ball is ruled, how can the batter have a right to hit it? Please note that the rule does not mention the direction or distance the ball must travel.

Of course, this would not apply if the umpire believes it was just a bad pitch and the ball did not slip from the pitcher's hand.

BTW, there is no such animal as "catcher's interference" in softball.