The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
But, what would you do in a situation where 1) or partner completely melts down, or 2) are making calls that you couldn't attempt to defend.
All the more reason why I disagree with the ASA between inning mechanics keeping the crew separated.

If you have a partner start to come unglued, you should try to talk to them between innings and keep them relaxed. Calmly make positive suggestions.

Every umpire needs to start somewhere, sometime with some teams. Okay, this may not have been the best place to start a young, emotional umpire, but at least she tried. At least it was just league games and not playoffs.

You need not defend you partner's calls, but you definitely want to try to be with them when a coach approaches to complain about something.

Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

All the more reason why I disagree with the ASA between inning mechanics keeping the crew separated.
OK, so don't shoot me or anything, but I don't do that anyway. I'm out there to have fun. I enjoy the atmosphere and the folks. That doesn't mean I tell jokes in between innings, but I do like to talk to my partner. I understand the appearance of separation and impartiality, but I feel you can do that without going down the line and standing there.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

I agree Rick. I usually like to talk with my partner, and will if I am working league games or a tournament. College games and HS playoff games, though, are done strictly by the book.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

OK, so don't shoot me or anything, but I don't do that anyway. I'm out there to have fun. I enjoy the atmosphere and the folks. That doesn't mean I tell jokes in between innings, but I do like to talk to my partner. I understand the appearance of separation and impartiality, but I feel you can do that without going down the line and standing there.
Why would I shoot you? I don't do it either. The time between innings is the time to recap situations with your partners, remind each other of certain situations or discuss certain idiosyncrasies either may notice about a particular player from separate angles.