The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Coach's team gets a good hit toward left center and as runner is running to 1st coach is standing behind 1st base stratling the baseline, right foot on the playing field left off and he has the big wave to second going on. I think he jsut got exicted but it made me wonder, is there anything to keep him in the box? I looked at coaches interference and he did not violate any parts of that. Where is it in ASA that they have to stay in the box? By the way the coaches boxes were very close to the foul line so he wasn't that far out of them, but just wondering. I was just watching, had i been umpiring I would have given him a warning to stay in the box, but it made me look to find where it states he can't do that!
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
Coach's team gets a good hit toward left center and as runner is running to 1st coach is standing behind 1st base stratling the baseline, right foot on the playing field left off and he has the big wave to second going on. I think he jsut got exicted but it made me wonder, is there anything to keep him in the box? I looked at coaches interference and he did not violate any parts of that. Where is it in ASA that they have to stay in the box? By the way the coaches boxes were very close to the foul line so he wasn't that far out of them, but just wondering. I was just watching, had i been umpiring I would have given him a warning to stay in the box, but it made me look to find where it states he can't do that!
Did coach interfere with defensive play/touch runner at all?

Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Dave,

ASA 4-7-C-2 a and b address this. The key would be intentionally interfering with the play. I kinda like the "animated" coaches who get into the game big time.

Having said that, straddling the base line could be viewed as intentional interference because that would block the BR's path and FORCE her to turn towards 2B, or stop. I think that would be a stretch.

What you reported seeing I would have no trouble with.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

FUblue, there was no play or interference and he was far enough back that the runner made her turn for a standup double with no problem. There was just some rumbling about him beign on the field (well 1/2 on the field) from the fans. I don't usually hear the fans, and never talk back to them, but I was already thinking about it but could not come up with anything illegal as there was no interference on the play.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
FUblue, there was no play or interference and he was far enough back that the runner made her turn for a standup double with no problem. There was just some rumbling about him beign on the field (well 1/2 on the field) from the fans. I don't usually hear the fans, and never talk back to them, but I was already thinking about it but could not come up with anything illegal as there was no interference on the play.
Unless he interferes with the play, the "penalty" for the coach is to get to hear the umpire say, "Don't do that coach. If you interfere with the play or the runners, I'll have to call an out. You should try to stay in your box."

I generally ignore where coaches are standing unless they go too far. I would probably have said something to a coach who entered fair territory unless he did so while trying to get out of the way of a play. It'd be more a suggestion, though, than a warning.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Coach in field, first time warn, second time sits on bench.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 10:58am
Ref Ump Welsch

bluezebra,

Any rule reference to back up what you just mentioned?

From the original description, coach was barely out of his box, since the box was close to the baseline (pretty gaddanged stupid to start with!). I think a report to the UIC or whoever is in charge of the fields would be needed to state putting the coaches box in a proper place.

As for the play, I would have nothing, but maybe a reminder to coach to watch where he's at.
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The coaching BOX is 8 feet from the baseline, regardless of where the white marks on the field are. That principle applies to all lines and distances.
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

straddling the base line could be viewed as intentional interference because that would block the BR's path and FORCE her to turn towards 2B, or stop.

Eh, Jel! That is the offensive coach that you are suggesting might be interferring with his own runner?

WMB
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
bluezebra,

Any rule reference to back up what you just mentioned?

**Coaches don't belong in FAIR TERRITORY.

From the original description, coach was barely out of his box, since the box was close to the baseline (pretty gaddanged stupid to start with!). I think a report to the UIC or whoever is in charge of the fields would be needed to state putting the coaches box in a proper place.

As for the play, I would have nothing, but maybe a reminder to coach to watch where he's at.
"...coach was barely out of his box..."

Is that the same as being "barely pregnant"?

[Edited by bluezebra on Jul 3rd, 2004 at 02:33 PM]
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
Ref Ump Welsch :

Check JEL's first reply to this post. ASA rule 4-7-C-2 was given, and the effect of not following this rule is given after 4-7-C-5, which is just as blue zebra states (disqualification or ejection from the game after a warning).

As for offensive caoch interfering with his own runner, I can see that happening if the coach is trying to aid the runner in advancing to second rather than stopping at first.
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 01:56am
Ref Ump Welsch

I asked my League UIC about this the other night. He's also ASA district UIC. He said, to warn the coach first time, second time, bench the coach. His feeling is if it has to happen a third time, then eject him/her. The exception to this is if they come out of the box and PHYSICALLY aid them, then it becomes an ejection after the warning.

I asked, problem is, what if it's a different person the second time? His reply-make the first one a blanket warning to the team, so everyone gets a clue. After that, bench anyone who causes it to happen the 2nd time, and then if it actually comes to a third time, eject them, no matter who caused the first 2 situations.

He's been around for almost 30 years, and said he's only seen it happen once or twice in slowpitch, and that it's more prevalent in fastpitch.
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 01:57am
Ref Ump Welsch

By the way bluezebra, I don't see any humor in your "barely pregnant" remark. Matter of fact, I don't appreciate the insult to my remarks.
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
straddling the base line could be viewed as intentional interference because that would block the BR's path and FORCE her to turn towards 2B, or stop.

Eh, Jel! That is the offensive coach that you are suggesting might be interferring with his own runner?

WMB
ABSOLUTELY!

Had this a couple of years ago. It was the first time I saw it and was basically stunned by it. After a few seconds, it finally hit me what had happend. The 3B coach literally stepped in front of his female runner (Co-rec) to keep her from continuing toward the plate. Never made contact, but apparently he didn't feel confident in his runner.

The funny thing was that the ball was still in the outfield and the runner could have crawled to the plate backwards and still easily scored. The coach was an umpire and a fellow teammate of mine when I played.

Between innings, I walked up to the coach and told him if he does that again, I would rule interference and the runner closest to home, out. He just laughed and told me he was surprised I didn't do it the first time.

Now that I have seen it, I will never be taken by surprise again.

Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

This is the original situation: "1st coach is standing behind 1st base stratling the baseline, right foot on the playing field left off and he has the big wave to second going on

Interferrence? ? ? ?

Good heavens, let 'em play!

WMB