The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Coach argued with me for two days on this one. Girls 10 and under tournament. R1 on first base. Not sure how many outs--doesn't matter. B2 hits grounder to F4 (positioned in the base line between 1B and 2B). R1 stays on and around 1B (stands on 1B, comes off a few feet, goes back to 1B, comes off a few feet) and does not advance toward 2B. I am immediately thinking easy force out at 2B. F4 should have simply either went to 2B for force out or ran the ball to 1B for tag out of R1 and possible double play. Instead, F4 just stands there in the base line (between 1B and 2B), holds the ball too long and then makes a bad throw to F3. F3 misses the ball and ball goes into foul ball area and to the fence. R1 goes to 3B and BR goes to 2B. Play over. Coach of defence complains that interference should have been called on R1 because F4 could not throw to F3 at 1B because R1 stayed at and near 1B (and, in the coach's opinion, was in the way of throw). In other words, coach complained that F4 did not have the opportunity to throw to F3 because R1 was standing in the way. I told the coach that R1 had the right to be where she was at (in the base line at 1B) and was not to required to run to 2B. Additionally, I told the coach that his F4 had an easy opportunity to make force out at 2B or run the ball to 1B for tag out. Also, R1 did not intentionally interfer with throw to 1B--she simply stayed at or near 1B. I know that this is a kind of a HTBT but did I make the correct call according to how I explained it? Was R1 required to run toward 2B with F4 standing in base line with ball? Another question: If F4 did run the ball back to 1B and R1 and BR both standing on 1B. Which player has the right to the base?

Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

IMHO you made the right call. Runners should not run into a tag. By staying around 1st base, R1 may have put herself in jeopary but is not required to advance unless the BR attains 1st base. F4 had options to get one or two outs but was probably just dumbfounded when R1 didn't run. R1 was not required to provide a clear throwing lane for F4 and unless she took action to get in the way, there's no interference.
If both runners ended up on first, R1 is out because the BR has a right to 1st base.
That's my "unofficial" opinion, anyway.
Let's see what the experts say when they get up.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emaxos
IMHO you made the right call. Runners should not run into a tag. By staying around 1st base, R1 may have put herself in jeopary but is not required to advance unless the BR attains 1st base. F4 had options to get one or two outs but was probably just dumbfounded when R1 didn't run. R1 was not required to provide a clear throwing lane for F4 and unless she took action to get in the way, there's no interference.
If both runners ended up on first, R1 is out because the BR has a right to 1st base.
That's my "unofficial" opinion, anyway.
Let's see what the experts say when they get up.
Speaking ASA

I agree, the call or non-call was correct.

However, just one thing I would like to point out. Even after the BR attains 1B safely, there is no rule requiring R1 to leave the base. Is the runner in jeopardy? Absolutely, even when in contact with 1B. Is the defense dumb for not making a play? Equally as absolute, though being 10YO, it probably is just lack of experience, not stupidity which brings such a play to the surface.

ASA occasionally does hold the defense responsible for making the right play and not offer free outs due to their lack of action.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

If R1 and BR both stood on first, R1 would be out when tagged. BR has the right to first, but R1 simply occupying the base at the same time is not illegal, the defense would need to tag her before she would be out.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

You wrote that the runner not only stayed near 1B, but left the base and went back. I know a BR cannot back-up when going to 1B, does the same apply between 1B and 2B? If so, should she have been called out for backing-up?
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
No. Only the BR has that restriction, but 3 feet out of the basepath avoiding a tag would be an out.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Backing up is legal (except BR going to first). If this were not so, each time a runner leads with the pitch, and then returns we would have an out. Likewise, a return to touch a missed base, return to tag-up, etc all would be automatic outs!......hmmm, maybe I like that!

Don't confuse with running in reverse order to make a travesty of the game though, that is a no-no.

IMHO also, cited case was not intereference. On another thread, the value of umpiring 10U, and even 8U ball is being discussed. Here is a prime example of rules knowledge one will gain if calling in the younger age groups. You can call for years in 18U A Gold and never see a play such as this. If it can happen, it will happen in 10U, you gotta know your stuff to call these games.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
That was a good no call. The defense has to do something, or you can just wait forever. Either R1 or F4 has to blink and make a play. F4 blinked and made a bad throw.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Strange how we call this a force, and yet no one is "forced" to run or anything else for that matter ?????