The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Question Defensive time outs?

What is the ASA rule on how many times a meeting can take place on the mound before the pitcher has to be changed? Also does this include player meetings, coaches, just pitcher and catcher?
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
A defensive conference occurs when a member from the defensive team enters the playing field to talk to one of their players. This can be a coach or a player who enters the playing field.

They are allowed 3 defensive conferences a game. They can all be in the same inning, or spaced out. On the 4th conference of the game, the pitcher is removed from the rubber for the remainder of the game.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
A defensive conference occurs when a member from the defensive team enters the playing field to talk to one of their players. This can be a coach or a player who enters the playing field.

They are allowed 3 defensive conferences a game. They can all be in the same inning, or spaced out. On the 4th conference of the game, the pitcher is removed from the rubber for the remainder of the game.
To clarify...

Speaking ASA...

It is not a charged defensive conference if the players request TIME and when TIME is granted, the catcher, pitcher, and/or other players meet for a discussion.

It is only a charged defensive conference if a coach or other team representative (which may be a player) from the dugout enters the field of play and talks with a defensive player. It is also a charged defensive conference if a player approaches the dugout for a discussion.

Point being - players on the field cannot be charged with a defensive conference. It must involve the dugout (coach or other team representative).
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 09:42am
Never Stop Learning

Just to clarify that it is not a defensive conference if a defensive player approaches the dug out and receives instructions. The change this year though does not allow the team representative to have any verbal comments with any defensive player before they inform the umpire that they will be changing the pitcher. If they don't do this in the correct order it will be a charged conference.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on Jun 29th, 2004 at 10:44 AM]
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Maeder
Just to clarify that it is not a defensive conference if a defensive player approaches the dug out and receives instructions.
I left my rule book at home today, but I recall in the Rule 1 Definition of Charged Conference it includes the situation where the player apporaches the dugout for instructions in the definition of a defensive charged conference. Am I remembering incorrectly?
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Maeder
Just to clarify that it is not a defensive conference if a defensive player approaches the dug out and receives instructions. The change this year though does not allow the team representative to have any verbal comments with any defensive player before they inform the umpire that they will be changing the pitcher. If they don't do this in the correct order it will be a charged conference.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on Jun 29th, 2004 at 10:44 AM]
Ed,

Your first sentence is misleading. If play is stopped for a defensive player to approach the dugout for instruction from someone in the dugout, it is a charged conference. (ASA 5.7.B)

Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Why do you ask ?

kjm930, may I ask why you inquire of this ruling ? I noticed it was your first post so I'm guessing something happened to bring you to the "board" ?
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't sure if the rule included conferences with the catcher and pitcher. We have an assistant coach with our team who is constantly telling our catcher to go talk to the pitcher even for something as simple as a 3-1 count. I don't really think it is necessary, especially with a 10u slowpitch team. We haven't been penalized for this, however, the other night an umpire did comment on it so I was looking for some clarification. Thanks alot to all who replied.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 07:34pm
Never Stop Learning

I guess that what I am looking at are two different scenarios. In the definitions it states that if the defensive team requests a suspension of play and the defensive player approaches the dug out and receives instructions it is a charged conference, but in the points of emphasis it says should a defensive player approach the dugout and receive instructions, this is not considered a defensive conference. The difference being the request for a suspension of play. Once again I stand corrected.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

It also may be a matter of degree.

F2 requests TIME and goes out to talk with F1. Meanwhile, F5 takes a step or 2 closer to the dugout to hear shouted instructions from the coach. I wouldn't consider that a charged conference.

Defensive dugout requests TIME and motions F5 over. F5 goes over to the dugout to recieve instructions (out of earshot of the base coach). Meanwhile, F2 goes out to talk with F1. I would consider that a charged conference.