The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

My first tournament as District Director for Softball. Championship game. 5th inning (of 5 - 7/8 year olds). Home team undefeated, down 9-0 after 2 innings has tied it up 10-10 with visitor (1 loss). Visitor scores 2 in the top of the 5th.

Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. Grounder to the pitcher, as pitcher is throwing to third, shortstop is blatantly in the way of R1 going to third, tries at the last second to get out of the way, and moves in the same direction as the runner who tried at the last second to get around her. They crash, BIG.

Umpire (who had called a very good game until this point) rules her out at third. Coaches go BALLISTIC. Fans go ballistic. Tourney director looks at me with an "Oh, No!" look on his face. Coaches manage to not get ejected (partially due to fantastic restraint by my umpire), but umpire stands by his call.

Hardest thing I ever did not saying a word.

Thank goodness the very next batter hits it past the outfielders and rounds the bases to win the game. I would have felt AWFUL if they'd lost the game because of a missed obstruction call.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder

Thank goodness the very next batter hits it past the outfielders and rounds the bases to win the game. I would have felt AWFUL if they'd lost the game because of a missed obstruction call.
Did the umpire just not see it or was it a misinterpretation?

Key word is MISSED. It happens, there is no way around it short of a 4-umpire crew.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

I didn't get a chance to discuss it between games, they rolled right into the 9-10 tourney, while I was handing out trophies.

I am curious as to what he saw, and coach never protested - so maybe he truly didn't see anything. However, it was right at the focus of the play unless umpire was extremely zeroed in on third base with no peripheral vision at all.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

"My first tournament as District Director for Softball. Championship game. 5th inning (of 5 - 7/8 year olds). Home team undefeated, down 9-0 after 2 innings has tied it up 10-10 with visitor (1 loss). Visitor scores 2 in the top of the 5th."

The perfect example why NOT to alter your strike zone.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Did the umpire just not see it or was it a misinterpretation?

Key word is MISSED. It happens, there is no way around it short of a 4-umpire crew.
I hope you are not saying a 4 umpire crew never misses a call. You watch enough MLB to know better. Oh, never mind, you meant 4 softball umpires.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

HTBT

Quote:
...Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. Grounder to the pitcher, as pitcher is throwing to third, shortstop is blatantly in the way of R1 going to third, tries at the last second to get out of the way, and moves in the same direction as the runner who tried at the last second to get around her. They crash, BIG.

Umpire (who had called a very good game until this point) rules her out at third. ...
Sounds like this was a pretty sure force-out if there hadn't been any collision...

Who instigated the collision? You used the word "blatantly" does that mean F6 was trying to obstruct? You also say both tried to avoid the collision.

Guess I would have had to have been there but did this runner have a chance of being safe (if there were no collision)? I don't think runners of this age would intentionally run at a fielder but perhaps the runner instigated the collision? I'm certain older players would create this collision hoping that an umpire would call them safe due to obstruction on a sure force-out.

Perhaps your umpire made an excellent call!

Just some thoughts.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Based on your sitch descript, I am standing strong with my blue brother......Call the out, no obstruction. Play to the pitcher who throws to 3B sure seems like NO chance for R1 to make it to 3B anyways.

I manage obstruction as protecting the runner but I always consider the possibility of what I "think" might happen had the contact NOT occurred. I don't try to be a crystal ball psychic but I will try to quickly make a judgement that makes sense to me within the spirit of the rules.

Sometimes the sitch is so easy to interpret that the call truely speaks for itself without question.....i.e. had the ball been hit to F5 sharply at the bag do you call the F6 obstruction, prob not at least I surely don't. JMHO
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

"......Call the out, no obstruction. Play to the pitcher who throws to 3B sure seems like NO chance for R1 to make it to 3B anyways."

I disagree, Rob. Runner was obstructed by F6. Very clear in MC's description. Doesn't matter whether runner would have made it to 3B, the rules do not allow you to call an obstructed runner out between the bases which she was obstructed. No judgment allowed.

Only when the runner goes past the next base can you use your judgment as to allow an out to stand.

WMB
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue

I disagree, Rob. Runner was obstructed by F6. Very clear in MC's description. Doesn't matter whether runner would have made it to 3B, the rules do not allow you to call an obstructed runner out between the bases which she was obstructed. No judgment allowed.

Only when the runner goes past the next base can you use your judgment as to allow an out to stand.

WMB
Ah, but you can call an out here. The umpire never called obstruction. Even after talking (loose description) to the coaches, he did not make an OBS call. Therefore, the out would stand. In his/her judgement, it was a train wreck apparently and made their call. And, in this case, MC's opionion don't count. He wasn't the BU. You know the view is better outside the fence than on the bases. Just kiddin' ya, MC. You gotta love this game, you just never know!
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Rob,

I agree with WMB:

Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. Grounder to the pitcher, as pitcher is throwing to third, shortstop is blatantly in the way of R1 going to third, tries at the last second to get out of the way, and moves in the same direction as the runner who tried at the last second to get around her. They crash, BIG.

Definately sounds like OBS. I realize you are talking 7/8
year olds here, but if you are using umpires, the call needs
to be made. Poster did not say what rules were being used,
such as NSA, ASA, etc. The described case does sounds
like OBS. F6 impeded the progress on the runner advancing.
Not sure what was meant by "blatantly".
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

You can't make up rules, folks. If she was obstructed, she's safe. Doesn't matter whether she had a prayer of reaching base safely without the obstruction.

And after discussing with him, it turns out he felt the same way you did - he told me he saw the obstruction but didn't feel like there was any chance she would have beaten the throw. We went through the book afterward - and he now understands the rule. Should have been awarded 3rd.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

...so I'm guessing you are firmly in the 'dont change one another's judgment calls' camp? Oops, sorry, wrong thread
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Okay, I have been convinced that my thought was misguided. I will recognize the rule as written regarding OBS. I like it simple, this is simple. Thanks.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

OR, return her to second if she clearly would not safely reach third. Just can not call an out when obstructed.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Wolfe
OR, return her to second if she clearly would not safely reach third. Just can not call an out when obstructed.
Ya' do that and under mcrowder's situation, you've got two runners on 2nd!

"Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out."

Try straightening THAT one out. :-)