Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Go here to hear the latest position for umpires w/o
runners on base.

http://www.eteamz.com/fastpitch/boar...cfm?id=1032014
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
You know, Mike, that Ron Osborn, the one that calls us "lily livered, lazy and not bright enough to call ball is from your neck of the woods. How come you're not sending umpires to his games? Sounds like they've been getting parents and coaches to call the games.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
You know, Mike, that Ron Osborn, the one that calls us "lily livered, lazy and not bright enough to call ball is from your neck of the woods. How come you're not sending umpires to his games? Sounds like they've been getting parents and coaches to call the games.
Are you talkin' to me?

Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
Are you talkin' to me?

Yep
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

I called a few games last year with Billy P., and when he was on the bases, he used the mechanic. He said it was being experimented with by ASA and he expected it to be adopted as the standard mechanic. This was fast pitch.

However, it was not taught in our ASA state school this year. I didn't attend an ASA national school, so I don't know what was taught there.

At his suggestion, I tried it the first couple of innings when I was on the bases. I haven't used it since, but I attribute that more to me doing what I was accustomed to doing rather than any real issue with the mechanic. I does make IP more difficult, but OTOH, it puts the umpire in position for the most common call, and removes the problem of having to make the call at 1st from foul territory in certain circumstances.

What amazes me is the cabal of coaches on eteamz (you know who they are) who immediately described this as some kind of consipracy to give umpires another excuse to ignore infractions.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
I called a few games last year with Billy P., and when he was on the bases, he used the mechanic. He said it was being experimented with by ASA and he expected it to be adopted as the standard mechanic. This was fast pitch.

However, it was not taught in our ASA state school this year. I didn't attend an ASA national school, so I don't know what was taught there.

At his suggestion, I tried it the first couple of innings when I was on the bases. I haven't used it since, but I attribute that more to me doing what I was accustomed to doing rather than any real issue with the mechanic. I does make IP more difficult, but OTOH, it puts the umpire in position for the most common call, and removes the problem of having to make the call at 1st from foul territory in certain circumstances.

What amazes me is the cabal of coaches on eteamz (you know who they are) who immediately described this as some kind of consipracy to give umpires another excuse to ignore infractions.
I've worked for Billy P and he has a load of "experimental" mechanics in his hip pocket. And he let us have them 4 hours before the Men's Major SP NC a couple of years ago. Talking about screwing up a crews' cohesion!

Unless they want to do away with the calling of IP in FP, the umpire has to stay at 1B when possible. Watching the pitcher from the B is a completely different angle and much harder to see some of the stupid little things.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

At the 2003 Fastpitch Advanced School Henry and Merle said that this mechanic is to be used for Mens Slowpitch only because of stealing.

Billy is a very good umpire. One of the best but you are right Mike Rowe he does like to experiment.

Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Baker
At the 2003 Fastpitch Advanced School Henry and Merle said that this mechanic is to be used for Mens Slowpitch only because of stealing.

Billy is a very good umpire. One of the best but you are right Mike Rowe he does like to experiment.

Oh my gosh, BDB went to the advanced school?
Well, obviously he didn't listen there either.
There is no way that Henry and Merle said this the way BDB reports.

BTW, Billy P is no longer a national staff umpire and is gone from ASA for the most part.

This mechanic is good for all slowpitch and has been taught that way at least since the 2003 UIC clinic.
We used it at a national in 2002 (slow pitch) because of an umpire shortage. It saved our legs and let us keep working. I did 17 games in 3 days as did one other umpire. Most of the umpires there worked 12 to 15 during that national.
I have seen it used in fastpitch at times, I am not convinced it is a good thing but neither is it bad.
For everything you gain by changing you also lose something.
Hopefully it will balance out in the end.

Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
BTW, Billy P is no longer a national staff umpire and is gone from ASA for the most part.
Which, of course, means he is now drained of all knowledge and credibility!

At the time he talked with me about the mechanic, he was still on the NUS of the ASA, and he was most definitely suggesting that we try out the mechanic in fast pitch. He did clearly say, though, that it was experimental. He was looking for people to try it and give him feedback. At least that is the way I took it.

I understand he is now on the NUS of the AFA - but I don't know for sure.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Which, of course, means he is now drained of all knowledge and credibility!

At the time he talked with me about the mechanic, he was still on the NUS of the ASA, and he was most definitely suggesting that we try out the mechanic in fast pitch. He did clearly say, though, that it was experimental. He was looking for people to try it and give him feedback. At least that is the way I took it.

I understand he is now on the NUS of the AFA - but I don't know for sure.
Hmm, I happened to agree with Billy in the need to experiment.
I have a great amount of respect for him and would love to work with him again in the future.
Sorry if I sounded like I was diparaging him.
I made the comment about him being gone from the national staff just as a comment, not an indictment.

I too have heard that he is with the AFA but as the UIC.
Don't know if that is true or not but I am sure he would be doing a great job there if he is.

Scott
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't think you were... I was just teasing.
Quote:
Don't know if that is true or not but I am sure he would be doing a great job there if he is.

Scott
Russ Lepisto (former ASA JO UIC for MN) is the National Director of Umpires for AFA. Billy is on his staff. I'm just not sure of the official title.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This mechanic was put into effect by Henry and it was a 9 months before stealing in all men's SP was offered as a change. From what I and quite a few others perceived, this mechanic was not fully supported by the NUS. Bernie Profato (who offered the rule change for stealing) was literally speechless on the podium twice during the introduction of this mechanic and was eventually relieved by Henry to explain it to a pretty confused room of UICs. There were a couple of votes during what had to be at least a 45 minute discussion (not all pro) concerning the implementation of the mechanic.

Henry eventually told the UICs that if we didn't want the mechanic, he would throw it ooot on the spot, that he wasn't going to force us to use something we didn't like. I spent that time polling the UICs from the area which it had already been instituted and came away with a positive view with slight modification. My entire staff voted for the change along with about 75% of the rest of the group.

Quote:

We need to remember, Billy P did a quite a bit of men's ISC where the IP is virtually non-existent, so it was not a consideration. However, unless they move away from calling the IP, I don't believe it would be a good move for ASA to make a similar change in their FP game.

Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't think you were... I was just teasing.
Quote:

Scott
Russ Lepisto (former ASA JO UIC for MN) is the National Director of Umpires for AFA. Billy is on his staff. I'm just not sure of the official title.
Tom,

I will ask will I see Russ Lepisto at the 18U Nationals. I
had also heard that.
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Tom,

I will ask will I see Russ Lepisto at the 18U Nationals. I
had also heard that.
I understand he will be at the 18U in Beaumont and at the 14U in Decatur. Last I heard, Billy was going to the 16U in Kansas City (Blue Springs, MO).
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Yeppers.

Pretty sure he will be here in Beaumont first. Rachel is
riding with him as co-driver. Her husband arriving some
time later.
--Mark Twain.