Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenny F
I stand corrected I do not have case book and believe you 100%
You only return the runners who were put out as they were the ones placed in jeopardy. If a runner advances safely, you allow that advance as the defense should be making a play based on their actions whether the IF was called or not.

Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Now I'm confused

This was hinted at in this thread, but I'm not clear on it...If a popup, meeting all the requiremnts of IF rule, is cleanly missed by the fielder and settles foul, is it still an IF? Or does 'IF, if fair' refer to a ball whose trajectory would cause it to be touched or caught in foul territory?
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Now I'm confused

Quote:
Originally posted by bellnier
This was hinted at in this thread, but I'm not clear on it...If a popup, meeting all the requiremnts of IF rule, is cleanly missed by the fielder and settles foul, is it still an IF?
Cannot tell you with the information you provided. Is it a fair or foul ball?

Rule specifically states it must be a fair ball to be an IFF.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

IFF rule-ad naseum

(I tried posting this earlier but it didn't show...sorry if it appears twice then).

Batter has 1 ball, one strike; 1 out, runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter hits popup whose trajectory from vantage point of PU indicates ball will land 2-3 feet inside line and well short of 3B bag. PU yells "IFF". Fielder waits under ball, which she then cleanly misses. Ball drops at her feet, rolls across the line and settles foul. Is it a foul ball and the batter gets to continue batting? Or is it an infield fly since all the conditions were met (especially since the fielder had a chance to catch the ball with normal effort)? Is the batter out? Thanks in advance from an obvious 'non-ump'.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: IFF rule-ad naseum

Quote:
Originally posted by bellnier
...since all the conditions were met (especially since the fielder had a chance to catch the ball with normal effort)?
All of the conditions were NOT met, even though it seemed like they would be when the umpire made the call.

ASA Rule 1 - DEFINITIONS - INFIELD FLY starts out this way,
Quote:
A fair fly ball...
The rule ends this way...
Quote:
If a declared infield fly becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.
FOUL BALL, dead ball, runners return, batter returns to the box (exception SP with 2 strikes - batter out on strike 3).