The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm work for four differrent towns/asscoiations/UIC's, all Men's ASA SP Rec leagues. Last night I'm working for one that I'm fairly new with and the UIC is one of the coaches in the game. In my pre-game, I always state "3 warm up pitches every inning" as is ASA. At the begining of the top of the second inning, this coach/my UIC puts in a new pitcher. After 3 warm up pitches, I tell the catcher that's it. Pitcher throws fourth pitch. I call ball. Coach from bench asks what am I doing? I say he only gets three. Coach says no, he gets SEVEN. I say no, ASA is three, all the time for every new inning and every new pitcher, take a look at the book. (I'm hoping that I am right, and pretty sure that I am, else I would not have been so confident to contradict my boss in front of the whole game. But I stuck to my guns, politely) Game continues. He looks it up in the book, and next inning announces that I was correct. Whew!

Anyone ever had a boss/UIC question you like that during a game? How did it work out?
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Never had a boss or UIC question it, but I've had several coaches over the years say they've never heard of such a rule. Or the 1 minute in between innings. Or awarding balls or strikes as mandated by the rules.

I keep feeling like I am educating the masses by enforcing the rules. Ahhh, the life and responsibilities of an educator---- uh, umpire.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Two years ago, UIC was a coach, and I was working his game. ASA slowpitch. Called obstruction on his catcher for blocking the plate. He went far enough arguing that he actually got ejected. Called me at home that night, telling me I was right, he was wrong, he was sorry, and that it took a lot of integrity to stand up to him. Also promised he would not ever put another umpire in that situation.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot
I'm work for four differrent towns/asscoiations/UIC's, all Men's ASA SP Rec leagues. Last night I'm working for one that I'm fairly new with and the UIC is one of the coaches in the game. In my pre-game, I always state "3 warm up pitches every inning" as is ASA. At the begining of the top of the second inning, this coach/my UIC puts in a new pitcher. After 3 warm up pitches, I tell the catcher that's it. Pitcher throws fourth pitch. I call ball. Coach from bench asks what am I doing? I say he only gets three. Coach says no, he gets SEVEN. I say no, ASA is three, all the time for every new inning and every new pitcher, take a look at the book. (I'm hoping that I am right, and pretty sure that I am, else I would not have been so confident to contradict my boss in front of the whole game. But I stuck to my guns, politely) Game continues. He looks it up in the book, and next inning announces that I was correct. Whew!

Anyone ever had a boss/UIC question you like that during a game? How did it work out?
Bluefoot,

Just remember, when doing the real game FP, it is five warm
ups or 1 minute.
However, except in championship play that is usually changed
to five first inning and three there after.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, 3 pitches in ASA slowpitch is correct... unless the Blue is busy with other duties (subs or whatever) in which case they can keep on tossing until ready.

Having said that I don't think I have ever made this call.. and no doubt there have been games where a fourth pitch has been thrown. If I was too busy with something to call for the batter then I was too busy to count warm up pitchs and I am not going to go looking for a call to make. But if I had specifically said "that's it" and "batter up" and they kept tossing anyway I would certinly ring up a ball.

Ernie
Anchorage, AK
ASA/NFHS
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ups or 1 minute.
Well, it truth I like FP better myself, but we have about 300 SP teams here in Anchorage that would argue that SP is a "real game" too! LOL

Ernie
Anchorage AK
ASA/NFHS
Old Sat Jun 12, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump

Bluefoot,

ups or 1 minute.
However, except in championship play that is usually changed
to five first inning and three there after.
Glen,

Remember when doing the REAL softball game, ASA FP, MP or SP, it is 5, 5 and 3 warm-up pitches respectively or 1 minute in all game at all levels from the 1st inning of the 1st game to the final inning of the last championship game.

Old Sat Jun 12, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

Championship play was my exception. Around here in 'rec'
and league, it is 5-3. Championship is always 5-5.

AFA, we utilize the same 5-3, even in Nationals.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Jun 12, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Mike,

Championship play was my exception. Around here in 'rec'
and league, it is 5-3. Championship is always 5-5.

AFA, we utilize the same 5-3, even in Nationals.
And I was speaking about all the time, every inning of every game of the season. Doing something differently just because it is a "rec" league or friendly doesn't help the players. If anything, it confuses them and the coaches and in turn, makes the tournament umpires look bad when it is enforced in championship play.

Didn't say it was right, just what happens more often than it should.

Old Sat Jun 12, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

"At the begining of the top of the second inning, this coach/my UIC..."

Great example of the utter stupidity of an example of conflict of interest. League officials should be flogged for allowing this to happen.
Old Sat Jun 12, 2004, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Doing something differently just because it is a "rec" league or friendly doesn't help the players.
Our local FP league rule is 5 1st inning; 5 new pitcher; 3 otherwise. That certainly is no problem for championship play. The reduction is to speed up play, since the league time limit is 65 min.
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Doing something differently just because it is a "rec" league or friendly doesn't help the players.
Our local FP league rule is 5 1st inning; 5 new pitcher; 3 otherwise. That certainly is no problem for championship play. The reduction is to speed up play, since the league time limit is 65 min.
You want "speed up", use the one minute. A hustling SP pitcher may get in three, but I don't know of a JO pitcher that would get to three, let alone five.

Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Blue,

Although I think you were technically correct, IMO, you went a bit too far with the letter of the rules, and not with the spirit of the rules, especially in a rec league.
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Our local FP league rule is 5 1st inning; 5 new pitcher; 3 otherwise. That certainly is no problem for championship play. The reduction is to speed up play, since the league time limit is 65 min. [/B]
Tom,
How local is your FP league? In the Netherlands we have the same rules. We work with I(nternational)SF/E(uropean)SF-rules.
Off course when a substitution takes place and umpire's aren't ready to start the game, or someone is hurt. pitcher is allowed to do same practice. BUT a soon as umpire is ready game MUST continue...

Alex
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shmuelg
Blue,

Although I think you were technically correct, IMO, you went a bit too far with the letter of the rules, and not with the spirit of the rules, especially in a rec league.
Well since I had informed the battery that they got three warmup pitches, and since the pitcher blatantly disregarded the rule after I had told them, I had to stick to it. I only ump by one set of rules, ASA. I show no favoritism to either team, even if it's my boss's. And he gave me credit when he acknowledged his error. At the start of the season, he told me to "take no crap from anyone" (so I include him). So while I was not confrontational, I remained consistent to the ASA rules. That's what I've studied, and that's all I know how to do.

BTW - regarding conflict of interest, he is also the director of the Men's Leagues in the town. I've heard people complain about the conflict of interest this has posed. I work there infrequently.