The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

This happened last night. Womens fast pitch. ASA. I was plate.

After one out in the 4th inning team A captain asks me "did they give you those substitutions?" refering to team B,now in the field. I said "what subs?". Apparently team B had 3 new players in the field and had failed to report them. After discussing it with my partner we decided we had 3 disqualified players (ASA 4-6-A). Team B coach unhappy but accepts his mistake. Original players take the field and we continue.

Move to 6th inning. Team B takes the field again. Coach says he wants to reenter Smith. I pull out the lineup card and see that according to my records Smith has never been in the game yet to reenter. After consulting home team (team B) it is discovered that Smith did indeed bat in the 5th but never reported to anyone (reason for them not saying anything?;"didn't want to cause anymore trouble"). Once again I went with unreported sub, disqualification.

I don't know if I feel good about the last DQ. Was Smith "in the game", a stipulation for 4-6-A, even though she had never officially been in the game? Was she still IN the game even though, in coaches'eye, she had been in and OUT (all unreported)?

Sorry for the wordiness but it was an odd situation. UIC was there and agreed with all calls but something bugs me about the last one. Did I get DQ happy?

Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:40pm
Never Stop Learning

I think you could have passed on the last one. Rule 4-6-B says "The use of an unreported substitute is handled as a protest by the offended team while the player is in the game." It also says "All action prior to the discovery is legal." So I would think on the last one it was too late to protest because she was in and out already and was not protested by the offended team although they discovered her while she was in the game.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on Jun 9th, 2004 at 08:42 PM]
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
4-6-B says the unreported sub is handled as a protest by the offended team. Which is what the 1st 3 were. If the offending team reports the unreported sub, as in the 4th DQ, there is no penalty.

Soooo, you're 3 for 4 on the DQ's, that's a .750 average. Not bad, not bad. I woulda thought the UIC would know better, though. But what the heck, we all have brain farts some time. Even us Texas guys. (speaking for myself only, of course.)
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Maeder
I think you could have passed on the last one. Rule 4-6-B says "The use of an unreported substitute is handled as a protest by the offended team while the player is in the game." It also says "All action prior to the discovery is legal." So I would think on the last one it was too late to protest because she was in and out already and was not protested by the offended team although they discovered her while she was in the game.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on Jun 9th, 2004 at 08:42 PM]
Wow, check the times on our posts! Did we do it in unison, or what? You must be a Texas umpire. Oh, wait, you come from that other big state, doncha?
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 09:37am
Never Stop Learning

Talking

We can fit two Texas's in our state. That would be the biggest state.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ed,

Two? Why would you want two of what many don't want one?

Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Ed,

Besides, all that hot air would melt the tundra!
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Ed,

Besides, all that hot air would melt the tundra!
Keep this up guys and I'm gonna get a complex. Maybe even start thinking you really don't appreciate the majesty of the great state of Texas. Which, by the way was the only nation to recognize the truly greatness of America and decided to let ya'll join us. Heck, we even let ya'll keep your name, The United States of America! Now, Ed, it was at least another 100 years before we bought you, but that's OK, we needed your oil, it just took that long before we knew what oil was.

Ya, know, I'm not real sure about that "2 of Texas thing" thing either. Would ya mind giving me a few numbers on that? I don't mind getting a little geography lesson today.

[Edited by TexBlue on Jun 10th, 2004 at 05:33 PM]
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 07:30pm
Never Stop Learning

Talking

I knew that would get you good old boys stired up. Minnesota brags about 10,000 lakes we have 2,000,000. The State of Alaska has 586,400 sq. miles, Texas has 267,339. That's two plus 51,722. You have over 17,000,000 people we have a little over 500,000 and we like it that way. Don't want to give you a complex though Tex, your timing and mine were on the money.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on Jun 10th, 2004 at 08:52 PM]
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I knew that would get you good old boys stired up. Minnesota brags about 10,000 lakes we have 2,000,000.
Uh, we call those puddles.

Quote:
The State of Alaska has 586,400 sq. miles, Texas has 267,339.

Ya know, I always wondered 'bout that. Since you're so far North, do you just keep walking circles around the North Pole, to get this many miles, or do you actually have that much geography?

Quote:
That's two plus 51,722. You have over 17,000,000 people we have a little over 500,000 and we like it that way.

But over a third of 'em are YANKEES and a fourth of 'em are from further south than the Rio Grande! The rest of us are TEXANS!!!

But no matter what, we still got some really great ball down here! Come on down and watch some 18-U ball this weekend in Waxahachie. Oops, that park is under water, they moved it to Midlothian. The city of 1100 puddles. ( Lakes in Alaska ) Of course, they'll dry up in about another week if the sun ever comes out.

[Edited by TexBlue on Jun 10th, 2004 at 09:01 PM]
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I knew that would get you good old boys stired up. Minnesota brags about 10,000 lakes we have 2,000,000.
It doesn't count as a lake unless it is in liquid form for at least 2 consecutive months. That would reduce your number to about 3.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 11:29pm
Never Stop Learning

Talking

They're always liquid, you just have to go through three feet of ice to get to it sometimes.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to hukonrt Send a message via Yahoo to hukonrt
WAIT...Minnesotans don't BRAG about the 10,000 lakes. It's just a polite way to warn the tourists about all those 'skeeters.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 07:13pm
Never Stop Learning

Skeeters, why thats our state bird.
Old Sat Jun 12, 2004, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Skeeters, why thats our state bird.
They're God's way of reminding us that we are not at the top of the food chain.