The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
This was easy, even working solo. Runners on 1st and 2nd, grounder hit to short right in front of R1. 6-4-3 in the book. Now I wonder why that doesn't happen more often in SP, where there are often more runners than outs because of no sacrifice bunts.

A very veteran (over 30 years) umpire friend of mine has been amazed that this is my third triple play in SP in 18 years and he can't remember any. Is that normal?
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
This was easy, even working solo. Runners on 1st and 2nd, grounder hit to short right in front of R1. 6-4-3 in the book. Now I wonder why that doesn't happen more often in SP, where there are often more runners than outs because of no sacrifice bunts.

Because the fielders do not usually play that close to the baseline and the runner is gone by the time they step up and get the ball.

I've participated in three, including pulling off one unassisted when I was in the Navy, but I have only had one while working and that was on a BOO/double-play combo.

Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Tripple Play

I had an unassisted tripple play last year. Bases loaded with no outs. Batter hit a line drive to F5 who caught it, stepped on third putting R3 out and R2 who took off on contact was already past F6 on her way to third, F5 chased R2 down tagging her out before R2 got back to second base.

Great play!

Michael
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Triple Play Top of 8th

I had a tripple play in the only game I've ever had to go 9 innings. Tied at the top of 8. Visitors up to bat. First batter hits it off the fence in left center field for a double. Could have been on third if he was running.
Next batter is walked to get to the third batter in the inning which was a girl. The walked batter is livid. He's gripping and saying things like "Your the worst team. I'd hate to play for you. Walking a guy to get to a girl." Well, now we have runners at 1st and 2nd with no outs. The girl gets a base hit. Now we have bases loaded. The guy who walked is now at second and is still running his mouth. This time he's talking to the 2nd baseman. Next batter hits a line drive to 2nd for out number 1. Runners at 1st and 2nd leave their respective bags. 2nd baseman steps on 2nd for out number 2 and throws to first for out number 3.

Old Thu May 27, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Re: Triple Play Top of 8th

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
I had a tripple play in the only game I've ever had to go 9 innings. Tied at the top of 8. Visitors up to bat. First batter hits it off the fence in left center field for a double. Could have been on third if he was running.
Next batter is walked to get to the third batter in the inning which was a girl. The walked batter is livid. He's gripping and saying things like "Your the worst team. I'd hate to play for you. Walking a guy to get to a girl." Well, now we have runners at 1st and 2nd with no outs. The girl gets a base hit. Now we have bases loaded. The guy who walked is now at second and is still running his mouth. This time he's talking to the 2nd baseman. Next batter hits a line drive to 2nd for out number 1. Runners at 1st and 2nd leave their respective bags. 2nd baseman steps on 2nd for out number 2 and throws to first for out number 3.

rwest:

This obviously wasn't ASA you were playing, was it?! Because, in ASA Co-Ed, a walk to a male batter results in a two base award, which would have put runners on 2nd and 3rd in your scenario.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Yes it was ASA

But it wasn't Co-ed. It was a men's league with the ability to have one or two females on the team.

In this league the male batter does not get 2nd base on a walk with a female batter following.

Old Thu May 27, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

I had a bizarre unassisted triple play back in intramural slowpitch. I was pitching, bases loaded. Huge popup to me, big loud INFIELD FLY! from the umpire. I let it drop untouched. The girl on third ran home and I tagged her, and then looked up to see R2 on third base. I walked toward him and as I got close he suddenly bolted for second base - I tagged him immediately.

In this same game, 2 outs, girl batting, automatic out on deck. I walked her. She got pissed and walked to the dugout. I threw to first for the out (although now that I know the rules I probably didn't need to - but umpire didn't call her out until I threw it to first), and started the next inning with the auto-out.

That team hated me.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
...intramural slowpitch...2 outs, girl batting, automatic out on deck. I walked her..That team hated me.
That was a bit out of the spirit of intramural, wasn't it?
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Well, to be honest, I caught a lot of heck for that one (for the appeal at first, not the walk. I was trying to get her out, and it was on a 3-2 count - I wanted the autoout in the next inning) - but rules is rules.