Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
Mike,
Geri Maguire was at third and Brian Smith was at first. Not sure who the plate umpire was.....

WCWS Umpires

Tom Topping
Mike Mazur
Suzi Benzel
Linda Hoover
Willie Newman
Paul Edds
Actually, the line-up for the UCLA/Bama game was:

Umpires - HP: Scott Thomas 1B: Tim Kasate 3B: Geri Magwire

Scott Thomas is not the person I thought was working it, but the signals and gestures were terribly close to my pals.
Thought it was a bit strange seeing dark sunglasses on the plate umpire as it seemed the sun was not coming from the direction of the field. However, I thought he did a great job with his strike zone, sunglasses or not, it works.

Old Mon May 24, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Actually, it does fall within the definition of "series" as presented in Merriam-Webster.
You're reaching now. The M-W definition that applies is:

Quote:
9 : a number of games (as of baseball) played usually on consecutive days between two teams {in town for a 3-game series}
Quote:
Don't be so sure it is not part of the attitude around the world. You might be surprised how others feel about ugly Americans. ... When the "world series" started with MLB, it is because this was the only country playing that variety of stick, ball and base game. However, when other countries adopted the sport, instead of being accepted by this country, they were mocked as supporting a second-rate game that could never measure up to the game played by Americans.
Which was largely true for a long, long time. Besides, how it came to be called the world series has no bearing on how the name "world series" is used today. It is a generic term for a diamond sports championship. I has nothing to do with geography. Do you call it C9H8O4 or aspirin? If you insist on following the original naming, then the only C9H8O4 that can be legimitately called aspirin is what is made by Bayer. But, aspirin is now a generic name. Do you call it "polyamide fibers" or nylon? By original naming, the only polyamide fiber that you should call nylon is made by Du Pont. It, too is now a generic name.
Quote:
Guess what? If you think the rest of the world is not enjoying the US's omission from this year's Olympics, I believe you are mistaken.
Which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with what name the NCAA attaches to their championship tournaments.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, it does fall within the definition of "series" as presented in Merriam-Webster.
You're reaching now. The M-W definition that applies is:

9 : a number of games (as of baseball) played usually on consecutive days between two teams {in town for a 3-game series}

I don't believe that is reaching at all. It shows that the name does not apply to the NCAA Championships.

Quote:
Quote:
Don't be so sure it is not part of the attitude around the world. You might be surprised how others feel about ugly Americans. ... When the "world series" started with MLB, it is because this was the only country playing that variety of stick, ball and base game. However, when other countries adopted the sport, instead of being accepted by this country, they were mocked as supporting a second-rate game that could never measure up to the game played by Americans.
Which was largely true for a long, long time. Besides, how it came to be called the world series has no bearing on how the name "world series" is used today. It is a generic term for a diamond sports championship. I has nothing to do with geography.
Do you call it C9H8O4 or aspirin? If you insist on following the original naming, then the only C9H8O4 that can be legimitately called aspirin is what is made by Bayer. But, aspirin is now a generic name. Do you call it "polyamide fibers" or nylon? By original naming, the only polyamide fiber that you should call nylon is made by Du Pont. It, too is now a generic name.
Just one question: According to whom? Who has the authority to make such a declaration that a term such as this is to be considered generic and all meaning previously assigned to the included words should be ignored?

BTW, I'm in Wilmington, DE, so there is quite a bit of knowledge about Dupont products floating around this area. I've even been privileged to meet some of the top representatives in the world of Dupont's Polymer Division a few years back. My fellow umpire from this area is a Dupont retiree and has quite a bit of knowledge. Do you know how the name "Nylon" came about? I really don't care about aspirin, doesn't mix well with beer. Oops, off the subject.

A generic name is often given when the specific brand or component of the item becomes synonymous with the item itself. Much like Vasoline, or how we refer to most non-wood bats as an aluminum bat.

The term NCAA Championships has ZERO resemblence to a WORLD Series. Even as anal as ASA can be, even they stopped using the term when it became apparent that the game was growing internationally and a recent as last November rejected using the term for a large tournament.

Quote:
Quote:
Guess what? If you think the rest of the world is not enjoying the US's omission from this year's Olympics, I believe you are mistaken.
Which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with what name the NCAA attaches to their championship tournaments.
No, but wraps up my argument concerning the terminology awfully well.

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on May 24th, 2004 at 01:10 PM]
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Mike,
Geri Maguire was at third and Brian Smith was at first. Not sure who the plate umpire was.....

WCWS Umpires

Tom Topping
Mike Mazur
Suzi Benzel
Linda Hoover
Willie Newman
Paul Edds
Actually, the line-up for the UCLA/Bama game was:

Umpires - HP: Scott Thomas 1B: Tim Kasate 3B: Geri Magwire

Scott Thomas is not the person I thought was working it, but the signals and gestures were terribly close to my pals.
Thought it was a bit strange seeing dark sunglasses on the plate umpire as it seemed the sun was not coming from the direction of the field. However, I thought he did a great job with his strike zone, sunglasses or not, it works.

I felt sometimes he was a little high and outside in the strike zone. He seemed to have a pretty liberal strike zone considering the level... I know one of your rants is not adjusting for level of play - but I still felt it was fairly generous. Not that I had the vantage he had with the crappy camera work.. so hard to say... but that was my impression.

[Edited by wadeintothem on May 24th, 2004 at 01:52 PM]
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike,

WCWS Umpires

Tom Topping
Mike Mazur
Suzi Benzel
Linda Hoover
Willie Newman
Paul Edds

Brian Smith and Linda Hoover are my buddies. Both from Michigan.
Worked with Linda many times.